Advice on new reel

bstone97

bstone97

I'm in the market for a new 5wt reel. I looking to spend no more then $200. Any suggestions and/or feedback on different brands would be much great.
Thanks

When you go looking please take your rod with you. A well balanced reel (a little butt heavy vs tip heavy) will help keep arm fatigue at bay.

I like the Orivs Access Mid-Arbor Reel. For line wts 5-7 it's $165 and it's their best selling reel.

You may want to check the recent thread "Is Your Butt Too Heavy." They are talking about rod/reel balance.

For the billionth time, the best reel in the $200 range, is hands down the Lamson Guru.

The Guru is a great reel as is the Ross CLA. For that price point, there are a lot of options. I would try to stick with a machined reel from a manufacturer that has been around for a while and isn't going anywhere. Customer service down the road is important and you will get that from Lamson or Ross.

Lamson guru for new or find a used velocity or litespeed.

guru's were on steepandcheap today for $109. Keep your eyes peeled.

Lamson

What happened to the 'made in America' thread? There was some great information in their about some reel.

you can find a TFO BVK reel for 189 on ebay... It blows the Konic and Guru out of the water with a true large arbor... Its the best thing you can find if you get it on ebay... it will cost you 250 anywhere else... this thing is sweet. Picks up line like no other and it is a very nice machined piece, so is the BVK rod! Great all around package.

Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like I now have a few reel brands to research now. I'll let you all know which one I decide on and how it works out for me. I'm leaning towards the Guru at the moment.

+1 on the guru. I love mine. the conical drag is amazing. The only thing you need to do is pull the spool off and cut the plastic clicker of with a pair of dykes.

Lamson Guru or the new Redington Rise. Lamson has the better drag of the two. but the redington is a really smooth reel.

I love the bvk reel, but until they make it a lifetime warranty like all other reels in its class I will never buy one.

I would bet the BVK reel has a lifetime warranty. I have dealt with TFO for many years and haven't seen a machined reel from them that doesn't carry a lifetime warranty.

The one thing that would discourage me from buying this reel, besides the fact that is not made in the USA, is that it doesn't differ from any other reel coming from China or Korea. I also doubt that you will be able to get it repaired in 10 years like you would if you bought a Ross or Lamson. TFO would probably just send you the closest current model.

I retract my last statement. I was under the impression it was a 2 yr warranty. I checked with TFO and they said it is covered for life.

Backcountry.com has the 2012 black Lamson Gurus for 30% off.
jdd

What about ALLEN reels? I'm not in the market right now but there was some good discussion about them and some GOOD feedback 2 , good service too from what i read , Allen flyfishing makes this place available for us to BS , pay a little back?

Back