Advice on Broken Rod

zenherper

zenherper

Can anybody offer advice on how to go about acquiring a new tip section for a Sage VPS 476-4? I do not have a warranty card, as I purchased the rod used, and I believe this is a discontinued model. I sent Sage customer service an email, and am awaiting reply. I let them know that the rod was broken by my careless actions, but I don't know what they will be able to do for me. I really like this rod, and I would love to be able to find a replacement for the tip section. Any advice is appreciated.

Going through Sage will bethe easiest route. Not sure what the cost will be to you, but I'd expect them to offer a replacement if possible.

If you're thinking you'll be able to find a replacement tip on the open market, I would consider that unlikely. If Sage cannot help you, buying another used VPS may be the only solution if you are dead set on having that exact model.

Kev

Call sage, get repair dept on phone. Tell them your model. They may ask for serial # which is located on the blank just above the grip. I'm trying to remember what I was charged for my last repair ($60 maybe?). You will have to box up the broken rod and send it to them with the repair form off the sage website and your check for repairs. You will pay to ship the rod to them + $25 for them to ship it back + rod repair fee. You will also want to be aware that it may take anywhere from 6 weeks to 12 weeks to get the rod back into your hands. Overnighting the rod may speed things up by a week or so but its also quite expensive.

If they don't have the exact section you broke, they will make one or fit a section from a similar model. I got a 3 weight back in 83-84. I broke it 4-5 times. The last time it was repaired, they replaced the tip with one from their light line series. It looks funny because the butt section is severely bleached from th sun and the tip is 5 shades darker. Still works fine.

A new tip section from sage is the optimal solution but how is your tip section broken? Ca it be repaired?
I've broken a couple rods, one a sage, and was able to insert a piece of an old rod into the hollow tube, epoxy it in place and thread wrap the joint like a guide wrap. Then epoxy the thread wraps just like your guides. Still using the rod, works well. Yours is in the tip and might need something thin and may cause a flat spot in the bend but if sage can't replace it see if someone can fix it

Thanks for all the replies. I have never had this situation before, so I'm not sure if it is something that can be repaired or not. It is completely broken just above the ferrule. I appreciate the advice.

I have purchased fly rod tips and did it myself a couple of times on my Renegade. I went from an 8.6 to about an 8.1 fly rod. It still works and I still use it as a back up or when I'm not concerned that I may break it again.

Items you will need are: New tip if the old one will not fit the new rod length, Fishing rod glue stick.

First remove the old tip. You can heat it up with a lighter and using 2 pair of plyers pull them apart.

If it does not fit you can get a size up tip. I purchased some at Dave's Sporting goods.

2. Once you have a tip that looks like it will work (should be fairly snug.) You will want to heat up the glue stick and smear a small amount of glue on your Fly rod.

3. You can also put a small peice of shrink tube on the stick as well to better protect your fix. (Optional)
This will need to be placed on the rod before you try to afix the tip.

4. With the glue still tacky you can slide the tip over it and insure that it is in line with the other eyelets on the rod. If the glue is not tacky you will have to heat it up. (this is the tricky part because you only want to use a little heat.) to much direct heat from a flame will damage the rod and render it useless. Grafite becomes brittle easy...so use caution.

5. Once you get the tip on and it lines up with the other eyeletts you can pull your shrink tube up to the tip and around the tip post. Use a hair dryer to shrink it down so that it is snug.

6. Once it has dried pull on it a couple of times and see if it stays in place. If not you will need to repeat the steps over again.

I would consider saving some money and purchasing another one soon. The dynamic properties (flex and balance) of the rod have been changed by the loss of the original tip and that piece of flyrod u lost.

I contacted Sage and they will be repairing it. I will feel good knowing it will be done correctly. Thanks again for the replies.

Back