Advice for new PA transplant

We're getting close to the time of the year where you could successfully nymph only one pattern - some kind of egg - for like 4 or 5 months straight. Not that I like it exactly, but it does make fly selection easy.

Reactions: Kms
I really really appreciate this, hopefully one day we will cross paths out there, would you suggest I got with an 8 or 8,6 then 5tw im guessing still would be the go to ? Is there any models you are fond of that arent crazy expensive in an 8 or 8,6 4 or 5wt? ill start making up flies of all of those patterns asap.

In my book, a 5wt is ideal for anything except trying to throw really big or heavy flies. None of the flies I fish in the Lehigh Valley fit that description.

I can't help you with 5wt rod models in the 8'0" - 8'6" length as I'm not up on current offerings but I'd start by taking a drive to Cabela's in Hamburg where you could at least waggle a few rods in YOUR price range to get an idea of what you might like.

If you drill things down to a few particular rods, you can always ask for opinions on those rods BEFORE pulling the trigger. And IF you later decide on a rod you saw at Cabela's, you can always order it so you don't have to drive back to the store.

Another thing, long booming casts and crazy flies are NOT required on the trout streams in the Lehigh Valley so don't shy away from more moderate action rods like fiberglass if that sort of action appeals to you.

If the freshwater trout fishing becomes an addiction there will ALWAYS be more rods to buy. 😉 However I could fish the streams here (and a lot of other similarly sized streams) with nothing but an 8'0" - 8'6" 5wt rod for the rest of my life and never feel the need for anything else.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey there! pretty new to PA and just getting back into fishing in the lehigh valley (bath, bethlehem) area. I come from long island originally so im use to kayak fly fishing with way heavier equipment for striped bass ( though tbh I was mainly a surfcasting afficionado) so this freshwater stuff is pretty much french to me. I figured id drop by here and ask for some advice for a beginner setup for trout locally monocacy, little lehigh (any other spots suggested) in regards to rod length and weight, fly weight size limits for said rod and fly sizes/patterns. I have been reading the keystone fly fishing book but figured id see what the thoughts were here.
Apologize for the stream of conciousness style in advance...so many questions.

So most of the time it seems a 9ft 5wt is suggested and I wondered if that sentiment still holds true? What are the typical limits with that in regards to:

dry flies ( how small of hook size? is there a specific size range I should stay in to cast effectively?)
small streamers (same question is a 5wt suitable to tossing some streamers if so should I stay in a certain size range and avoid weighted or beaded head versions?)
nymphs and beadhead nymphs ( is there a certain size I should stay around and weight I should stay under for tungsten beads?)

Then I wonder if in the long run something like a 4wt with lighter dry flies might be a bit more engaging and fun?
I was looking at the clearwater outfit which seems to be pretty well regarded for not a huge investment.

In regards to whatever size rod is suggested is there some must tie patterns and sizes I should look at to use with that rod for around here?

I really appreciate any advice.
Emmaus here, willing to point you in any direction you need. Can give you a "starter" nymph box for the area, flies that I've caught fish on around here.

Back