Advice for Beginners on Midge Technique?

geebee wrote:
or try a downstream cast, with a reach or pile cast to give you a drag free drift.

you can also use something like snake river mud to sink the tippet.

if they won't take dries, try an emerger.

i also like a red serendipty tyed with snowshoe hare rather than deer hair in a 20 or 22 fished in the film.

you can also try the induced take method with a zebra midge - similar to the leisenring lift, you high stick at the point where you think the fish are and lift the rod tip higher which lifts the nymph up off the bottom like the natural.

sometimes they are not actually taking the midge but the nymph just under the surface.

the induced take can be deadly on tailwaters with large fish - i had a 23" stocked bow two winters ago.

Induced take method landed me my first trout on a midge today...a boastful 20 inches to! I'd post a picture but my phone fell in the water...totally worth it.

What a great way to fish a midge!

One more question...how do you fish an emerging midge in the middle of the water column?

Paulson,

I have sucess fishing midges in the column by rigging a tungsten beadhead (1/16 or 1.5 mm) midge as the lead fly and a smaller non-beadhead midge as the point fly with no drift indicator. I use a size 20 to 24 midge with the beadhead and 22-28 non-beadhead as the point fly. The distance between the lead and point fly will vary based on depth and water speed. I will also use a small drift indicator with small split shot and un-weighted midges. I find that an "active" presentation by slightly jigging the rig during the drift can work very well if a passive drift doesn't. I fish these rigs all year round.

Dale

Does anyone know who sells Als Rat in sizes 20-26

First question, were the trout actually taking on the surface or just under the surface? The lack of success on a dry probably indicates the trout were taking just under the surface.

The main problem with fishing a dry/dropper, especially in slower water, is the midge larve hangs suspended vertically in the water column, a most highly unnatural looking state. In faster and broken turbulent water you can get away with this because the flow will move the larve around but in slower moving water this method will generally see little success because it doesn’t look natural unless the larve is fished right on the bottom.

You also need to understand midges. Midges hatch by swimming to the surface in short bursts generally facing upstream. The best approach when targeting trout rising to emerging midges just under the surface is to switch to a midge larve, move upstream about 20 feet or so from the trout, add a tiny split shot not much bigger than a grain of sand about 12” above the fly, land the fly about 3-4 feet in front of the trout, lower your rod tip immediately, and when the fly approaches the trout, raise your rod tip slowly causing the larve to move upwards. This action will mimic the hatching behavior of the real ones and you will see more success than simply dead drifting one by them.

Lastly, when midge fishing imitating the correct color pattern is usually more important than matching the correct size and a wrong size midge of the right color pattern will generally out fish the right size midge of the wrong color. I have had excellent success fishing correct color oversized midge larve tied on #12 3x long nymph hooks when the real ones are size 18 and smaller.

If you use an Al's Rat it's fished in the film, no weight on. It's tied in a # 20 or #22.

Paulson wrote:

Induced take method landed me my first trout on a midge today...a boastful 20 inches to! I'd post a picture but my phone fell in the water...totally worth it.

What a great way to fish a midge!

One more question...how do you fish an emerging midge in the middle of the water column?

i'm glad that you caught on that method - it was developed by test river keeper frank sawyer at the turn of the previous century, solely by observation.

as Dale said, for bows just feeding off the bottom i use a much heavier fly as the dropper and a midge as the point.

a small dark heavy stonefly will do it or a big hares ear, though i use those for exploring water, rather than casting to a sighted fish.

for sighted fish i stick with a unweighted midge or red serendipty dead drifted first. and then after 2 or 3 runs past i'll try an induced take.

at the start of the drift, i'll put in a big downstream mend to get the fly down and keep the rod tip down as it approaches the fish.

i have seen big browns ignore it, then turn downstream and take it - a time or two as i was lifting off, so fish out the cast, its something they tell you in salmon fishing and you should definately do it.

you can also fish small soft hackle spiders the same way when a hatch is on.

i usually fish a 9' rod, but part of me is eyeing these new 11ft 2 & 3 weights that might or might not be ideal for it - especially on spring creeks, which coming full circle are very similar to the test river...

geebee wrote:

i'm glad that you caught on that method - it was developed by test river keeper frank sawyer at the turn of the previous century, solely by observation.

as Dale said, for bows just feeding off the bottom i use a much heavier fly as the dropper and a midge as the point.

a small dark heavy stonefly will do it or a big hares ear, though i use those for exploring water, rather than casting to a sighted fish.

for sighted fish i stick with a unweighted midge or red serendipty dead drifted first. and then after 2 or 3 runs past i'll try an induced take.

at the start of the drift, i'll put in a big downstream mend to get the fly down and keep the rod tip down as it approaches the fish.

i have seen big browns ignore it, then turn downstream and take it - a time or two as i was lifting off, so fish out the cast, its something they tell you in salmon fishing and you should definately do it.

you can also fish small soft hackle spiders the same way when a hatch is on.

i usually fish a 9' rod, but part of me is eyeing these new 11ft 2 & 3 weights that might or might not be ideal for it - especially on spring creeks, which coming full circle are very similar to the test river...

I'll keep working with it. There seems to be a lot a great ways to fish midges. I'll keep trying to get them down there for the bigger pools.

I didn't think of adding more mend, that would help correct some drift issues across the water I was having. Then again, I have been having a lot of duh moments on the creek fishing midges. You mention the trout ignoring it then turning around to grab it, that may have been what happened. I was keeping the technique in my mind and just as I was lifting my rod end and starting to look where I was going to place my next cast, he hit. This was at the edge of the feeding lane.

I was going to ask about soft hackles actually, any colors in particular? I've got a few in my box. Also, when fishing midges on the bottom, how do you feel the strike? I don't use a strike indicator.

My rod seems to work well for it to. Lets beat Sage to marketing a $700 "induced take" rod.

Paulson wrote:

I was going to ask about soft hackles actually, any colors in particular? I've got a few in my box. Also, when fishing midges on the bottom, how do you feel the strike? I don't use a strike indicator.

partridge and green or partridge and orange works best for me.

i do it by feel and i watch the line for any weird movements. i am sure i miss a lot of hits but i get a few fish too.

i only use indicators in pocket water or the edge of very fast water now.

basically, you should feel the heavy fly tick tick tick bottom and then a pause and the line hesitates. if you can see the fish you see the white of their open mouth allegedly but i can't remember ever seeing it - i think i panic and just strike when i see their head move lol.

Cool, those are in the mix of mine.

I felt like that was happening last time I was out, but I hesitated too much. I couldn't always see the fish.

Well see what tomorrow brings.

jimboy wrote:
Does anyone know who sells Als Rat in sizes 20-26

Pretty sure Little Lehigh Fly shop sells them. I know Evening Hatch does.

Back