advantages of leader and tippet over straight mono?

To me- the best solution is the simplest. And this furled leader thing does not appear to be simple. Maybe in 10 years when I get bored with other fly fishing stuff.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
A few years ago I threw away the notion that you have to purchase tapered leaders and tippet. I went straight to using a good grade of 8 wt and 5 wt right off the shelf for leader and tippet. I'll stand toe to toe with those using fly shop tapered leader and tippet and never blink an eye as I match their catches. I save money, tie my own stuff, and C&R native trout with no issue. For me fly fishing is all about presentation, so no matter what gear you have, or what you use, if you present it right a trout will chase it down.

I hear what you are saying. I really do. But using homemade leaders on classic limestone spring creeks is a recipe for failure. I think it really depends on the creek you are fishing to what gear you use ;-)

Sal are you referring to his recipe or all hand tied homemade leaders in general. I went to wal-mart and bought all of my leader making material for like $15 I think. I tie a hand tied tapered leader for nymphing and dry fly. a nine foot for nymphing and a twelve foot for dry fly. I think they are great for turning the fly over especially for dry flies. I use them on limestones all the time and like their performance way better than the single mold tapered leaders you buy at the store. They also cost me less than thirty cents a piece to tie them.

Back