Adirondacks on the fly

pratt

pratt

I just rented a cabin in the Adirondacks for the last week of August...the place is on a spring-fed pond (stocked with browns & brooks) and it is surrounded more-or-less by ADK Park. From initial looks at topo, there are definitely plenty of streams that should be cold and running (many come from the outflow of spring-fed ponds)...so...

I'm planning on doing some casting to risers in the pond morning/evening, maybe some deeper water work in the pond with a sinking line, and definitely some small stream native hunting. I'm near the Ausabl and upper Hudson as well, but assume that they will not be fishing well (trout-wise at least) by that point in the summer...

since I'm in the middle of 'tying-season', I'm wondering if anyone has any experience/suggestions for what to pack my box with?

Midges, lots of them. Damsel and dragon fly patterns, (buggers) calibatius, hexs, stone flys, caddis, hay stacks and wulffs. then a few dace and minnow patterns too. ponds should have lots of bait fish, don't forget the black fly larva's and skeeter patterns too.

thx for the suggestions - that should keep me busy for awhile..

I live in the foothills of the Adirondacks and have fished mostly the southern waters, but have most definitely covered the area you are talking about.

Believe it or not, August is still a great time for trout. I was actually shocked to go the Alleghany last July and find water temps in the 70's-80's and 90's in the shallows.(Not shocked at the temps, more thankful for how cold our water stays up here) Our water never gets that warm. 70's at times in some streams, but the water you're dealing with up here will still hold trout, though the bite not be as heavy as in May, or June, you should have no problem hooking into some nice trout. I would also agree, large wulffs, caddis, stoneflies, and minnow patterns. You can't really go wrong with leeches if it's a beaver pond too.

As for the Ausable, you can still pull them out of there, and the upper Hudson really will produce smallies for you. If you're looking for the most beautiful trout that will give you a great story, go to the roadside, or backwoods streams, most are wild brookie streams, though some have been stocked.

Caddis nymphs in the smaller brookie streams. If I'm not dry fly fishing a small brookie stream, I always use a BH white caddis. Tie up one where it looks like one that has come out of it's casing. Chuck it in a nice pool and they eat them up like popcorn.

If you want some nice spots to fish along the way up to where you're going, or to hear some of the weird ADK things that we do up here feel free to PM me. If I can't answer the question. I could almost guarantee that I know someone up here that could.

Question:
Have you ever fished in the Adirondacks before?

COME FISH ADK!!

thx PatriotFly for the info...good stuff! I have not fly fished in the Adirondacks before....

I'm definitely planning on hitting lots of small brookie streams..

I'm interested in pond fishing techniques as well - never pond fished (with fly rod) for trout ~ and being as I'm staying right on a pond (with access to canoe/kayaks) - the majority of fishing will likely take place there...

I may hit you up a bit later this year, when the trip is closer. thx again guys

Back