Adding a fighing grip to a rod?

2bonthewater

2bonthewater

To any rodbuilders on the site:

Is it posible to add a fighting grip to an already completed fly rod?

I purchased a 11 ft 6/7 wt, 3 pc Scierra fly rod and I think a fighting grip would be a great addition if it can be done? Not sure if there are any tricks of the trade that might enable this to be done.

I thought the rod came with a fighting butt, but it didn't, seems a shame that it does not have one......

I have high hopes for Steelhead on the Salmon River in New York.....way too big for Erie tribs, except maybe lower Elk.......

thanks for looking and or helping!!!

I would guess disassemble the entire handle and cork and start anew, if that is possible.......????

I'm sure it's possible. The trick is doing it neatly and not impairing the balance of the rod. I've never done it, so I don't have any advice. You could consult a professional rodmaker like www.dreamweaverrods.com to see if this is an upgrade that can be done inexpensively.

thanks Pad.....I'll check him out!!!!

It can be done. I know a builder who extended the butt for a doctor who had recently had rotator-cuff surgery, and it worked out fine..

The reel seat length is the key and without looking at the rod, but it should be standard (up lock or down lock). It is just problematic if you have to rewrap the butt section because you always run the risk of scratching the blank taking of the guides and handle. You should be able just to replace the reel seat depending what you want.

Joe E

I did contact via email the DREAMWEAVER guy........I wanted to do this ASAP, but I got a call from the inspection folks today:
900 bucks so the truck passes the inspection!!!! oh my goodness......no tweaking the rod in the near future.....but the plan will be set in motion.......

thanks for all the advice guys!!!!!

easily done and cheap. pop the reel seat cap off and build a butt by talking an old piece of fishing rod or even a wooden rod, exopy cork to the piece, then shape by sanding to how you like it. then epoxy the whole thing into the reel seat or if you can get it into the blank, even better. thats what i did on a recent 4 wt build.

Attachments

• 32280009r.JPG
    32280009r.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 7
that looks nice skiltonian............and sound advice

but wanting the addition of a fighting grip I will most likely have to replace the handle......I spoke with the DreamWeaver guy and said it could be done....not too expensive for borrowing his skills........I want to put a Fly Logic WildBerry reel seat on the rod--has the fighting butt attached--it is purplish......The guy is going to have to take off the handle , put on the fighting grip, replace cork and handle and the rod should be perfect......we'll see how this comes out!!!

Back