Adams Gray - How versatile?

According to many, Ed Van Put, "the Admiral of the Delaware", fished for years for those West Branch Delaware rainbows with only a hackled Adams - for years...

It’s my go to as well, can vary size & both body & hackle colors & pretty much cover most all mayflies. Mix in some varying sizes & colors of elk hair & x caddis, pretty much have it covered. But yet I still feel compelled to carry hundreds of other dries, just in case, probably called mental illness…

I like the white post, it allows me to see the fly pretty easily on the drift.
When I’m fishing a small (18+) dry without a good high viz post I usually just trail it about 12” behind a bigger more visible dry.

When I’m fishing a small (18+) dry without a good high viz post I usually just trail it about 12” behind a bigger more visible dry.
Or, sometimes, I will put the tiniest but brightly colored yarn indiy there to see. That is an ice option, too.

Or, sometimes, I will put the tiniest but brightly colored yarn indiy there to see. That is an ice option, too.
+1 an under appreciated and under utilized approach. Its true a fish could talk your big dry, but in my hands that creates more drag and a disturbance than a pinch of yarn

Back