Adams Gray - How versatile?

jifigz

jifigz

I am trying to simplify. I'm tired of too many patterns, too much junk. How many hatches do you think can be covered by the parachute Adams? I may tie and carry only Adams in a variety of sizes for basically all hatches except sulphurs, in which case I'll still carry sulphur colored flies.

What do you think? If I stocked nothing but parachute Adams from size 20-10, do you think I'd find myself wanting at times?

I am trying to simplify. I'm tired of too many patterns, too much junk. How many hatches do you think can be covered by the parachute Adams? I may tie and carry only Adams in a variety of sizes for basically all hatches except sulphurs, in which case I'll still carry sulphur colored flies.

What do you think? If I stocked nothing but parachute Adams from size 20-10, do you think I'd find myself wanting at times?
I essentially carry 3 mayfly colors.
Adams 10-22
Sulphur 12-18
BWO 18-22 (green with dun wings)

I don't have the years of experience as other folks on here, but this works well for me.

The Parachute Adams (14/16) is my go-to fly. I fish that fly more than any other, hands down. It produces, plain and simple. Plus, I just really enjoy the top water action it provides.

I essentially carry 3 mayfly colors.
Adams 10-22
Sulphur 12-18
BWO 18-22 (green with dun wings)
I do this except fewer sizes of the Adams (not as small), feel like it’s worked just fine.

That said I do carry a number of patterns for dries and emergers so I chose to simplify on color and still carry a decent amount of patterns.

Well, and I've always carried boxes of dang near every mayfly color, changed them out per season, per stream, etc. It's just too much.

I always carry BWO's, however, I think a tiny Adams would probably pass, right?

The Parachute Adams (14/16) is my go-to fly. I fish that fly more than any other, hands down. It produces, plain and simple. Plus, I just really enjoy the top water action it provides.
That is true. You're generally fishing small freestone streams, right?

I love the Adams. I'm just wondering if it can do more for me than I'm currently asking of it.

Well, and I've always carried boxes of dang near every mayfly color, changed them out per season, per stream, etc. It's just too much.

I always carry BWO's, however, I think a tiny Adams would probably pass, right?
I bet in 90% of situations it would be just fine.

If just change the body color to tan/brown, it will be a highly versatile fly, and better than the gray-bodied Adams.

Because many mayflies have a tan/brown body color. And gray is not a common mayfly body color.

Along the lines of Troutbert's comment, if I were to limit myself to a single dry fly pattern in this way, it would be a Hare's Ear Parachute. It is a better fly than the Adams; more versatile in the number of different shades of hare's mask you could use as well as the overall body color scheme is more suggestive of the bugs we generally see on our streams.

Going back to my original comment.....I lied. I also carry, and use often, rusty spinners. Not sure how I forgot those. I honestly think if I had to choose one mayfly pattern only, it would be the rusty spinner 12-16.

Adams, light color sulphurs and deer or elk hair caddis in a couple sizes.

I've always understood that above the surface color doesn't matter much. From underneath the trout mostly just see a dark bug-like thing silhouetted against the sky. Under the surface color may matter more.

I've always understood that above the surface color doesn't matter much. From underneath the trout mostly just see a dark bug-like thing silhouetted against the sky. Under the surface color may matter more.
I agree about the dry flies. However, I never really thought about color being more important for the subsurface flies. I’d love to hear more opinions on this.

I don't use an Adam's too often and rarely if ever, to imitate any specific fly. I may have 3 or 4 in my vest in size 16, thats it.

Good fly and years of success p with thousands if not millions of fishermen. Personally not a go to fly for me. Much better luck with other attractor/nondescript flies. I heard it is good for blue quills early in season, but I've only seen that hatch once and fish were not rising for them. Me thinks other areas of the country that may have grayish colored flies, mayfly and caddis, are likely to rely more heavily on the Adams.
Disclaimer: I do like them with green/chartreuse bodies.

That is true. You're generally fishing small freestone streams, right?

I love the Adams. I'm just wondering if it can do more for me than I'm currently asking of it.
Yes, period.

I think you'd be covered at least 80% of the time, and of the remaining 20%, you could probably cover at least half with a conventionally hackled Adams and a spent wing Adams.

For me it can depend on location, weather, etc...
If I decide on my own, I use an Adams 60% of the time, BWO 20%, Light Cahill 15%, Match the Hatch (Hendrickson, Slate Drake, March Brown, Quills, etc.) 5%. I always take recommendations if anyone offers - I may just be gullible that way.
If I have no clue/expectations or if I rig up at the car, I'll usually put on an Adams, since it generically imitates so many different bugs.
Then again... Spring mornings on Pine Creek, I'll start with a BWO spinner unless I see what the fish are eating. Afternoons on Pine, I like Slate Drakes, because I'm the one who can see them.

I carry various sizes of Adams Para (#12-14), Mr. Rapidans (#12-14), Sulphurs (#14), Tan/Olive EHC (#12-14) and Yellow Stimmies (#12-14). That's it if fishing dries on mountain streams. When I tie the Adams Para, and EHC- I make sure to use Hot Pink, Bright Yellow, Chartreuse Green Polly for posts and hi-viz, etc. Many of the streams I fish need sunlight pumped in and these bright colors help me quickly get a visual on my fly. The flies mentioned also make for excellent dry dropper setups.

I carry various sizes of Adams Para (#12-14), Mr. Rapidans (#12-14), Sulphurs (#14), Tan/Olive EHC (#12-14) and Yellow Stimmies (#12-14). That's it if fishing dries on mountain streams. When I tie the Adams Para, and EHC- I make sure to use Hot Pink, Bright Yellow, Chartreuse Green Polly for posts and hi-viz, etc. Many of the streams I fish need sunlight pumped in and these bright colors help me quickly get a visual on my fly. The flies mentioned also make for excellent dry dropper setups.
Yeah, I always tie bright posts. Some orange mixed with white. I had about 6 fish or so eat my parachute Adams tonight. That's a win. About the same number ate the nymph, too.

Back