Action recommendations for a short, smallwater rod

I like a St. Croix 7' 6" Avid 3wt that I overline to a four. It roll casts like a dream!
Coughlin

I was strongly considering the Avid during this selection process, but in the end, I am really glad I went with the Imperial if for no other reason than its castability. My goodness, this thing is versatile. I can really stretch the legs on that 7-footer and sacrifice some presentation/delicacy for distance, but it's also very capable of soft, subtle line landings for spooky fish. I took it out to Utah with me this past weekend and it really, really shined. I highly recommend it if you need a smallwater rod that can let you sneak through heavy brush while still preserving the ability to cast futher out on open water sections.

My ideal small stream "brush" rod would be a 7 or 7.5 ft 4 or 5 wt, fairly fast action, overlined with maybe 6 wt line.

I typically use a 7.5 ft 4/5 wt with 7 wt line.

When you think about it, overlining isn't really overlining when you're casting such short distances. These rods weren't rated for 5-10 ft of fly line beyond the tip, they were rated for 3 times that much.

I like faster action because tighter loops make it easier to cast through tight windows. i.e. under that branch, or whatever. However, such places have often small fish, and I won't argue that a lighter rod makes the fight feel more substantial. That's why some people like the light rods. Personal preference. I don't fish for these fish for the fight. To each his own.

Longer is better when you have the room. When it gets tight, shorter is easier to maneuver. When it gets REALLY tight, longer gets better again, as bow and arrow becomes the most effective way to fish and longer rods do better at it. I've settled on the 7ish ft range as a nice tweener. But there are times when I wish I had a shorter rod, and times when I wish I had a longer one.

The "Imperial" is a good choice for those who prefer faster action flyrods. The "Avid" is a good choice also but the action is slower. I have an "Avid" 7'6" 2 weight. I don't use it much on small streams. It's used mostly on limestoners when fishing the Trico hatch. IMO you made a great choice for the intended purpose.

WildTigerTrout -

You brought up the exact decision that really gripped me for a bit: fast or slower action. Up to this point, I've been primarily using slower/moderate action rods like the Redington Classic Trout in my longer rod setups. That had me leaning toward the Avid series for this shorter rod application. I was not terribly confident in my ability to adapt to fast action rod like the Imperial. However, after reading the responses to this post and others, I believed that if I could learn to use it right, the Imperial would be better suited for my needs. Sure enough, one YouTube video later (demonstrating how to properly cast with a fast action fly rod) and it was on like Donkey Kong. I couldn't be happier with this rod for the cost/performance factor given my application.

pcray -

I actually do exactly as you suggest in overlining my 6' Temple Fork 2wt. with only slightly heavier 3wt. line. It does wonders loading that slower rod when casting with limited space.

pcray1231 wrote:
My ideal small stream "brush" rod would be a 7 or 7.5 ft 4 or 5 wt, fairly fast action, overlined with maybe 6 wt line.

Yeah, I agree completely.

Anything under 4 wt is a novelty rod.

It can be hard to find a 5 wt under 8 ft long. That's always annoyed me. There are a couple, but pickins are slim.

4 wts are easy to find.

jdaddy wrote:
pcray1231 wrote:

Yeah, I agree completely.

Anything under 4 wt is a novelty rod.
I must disagree. I own a 2 weight and several 3 weights and they are far from a novelty.

I am not trying to promote any one fly shop, but I think Leland will send you rods and let you try them. If you do not like it just return it for a full money back refund. Call them and find out. I have two small stream rods. I have a 5' 2wt made by JP Ross Fly Rods, and a 6'10" 3wt sage TXL. The sage is a 4 piece and the JP Ross is a 2 piece. Both rods are awesome. I love the JP Ross for extremely small streams anywhere from 5 to 30 feet across. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Back