Action recommendations for a short, smallwater rod

Six-Gun

Six-Gun

I recently bought a medium-fast, 2-weight 6' Temple Fork Lefty Kreh Signature Series II fly rod to work small, brush choked creeks out here in the West. The rod works great, but I realized that most of my friends who want to come with me to such places simply don't own a short rod of their own and I will also have to outfit my wife if she is tome with me. So, I'm looking at getting a second short rod.

I'm getting the experimental bug to try a different rod and action speed and was curious about an alternative, yet effective, action would be. However, the other part of this purchase is getting a rod that is 3 or 4-piece so it can pack down into a suitcase for restricted travel. The conditions it will be paired with do not allow for a lot of backcasting (none really) and roll/bow and arrow casting is the order of the day. In particular, I've been looking at a 2-weight, 6' St. Croix Imperial (3-piece/fast action) and the 2-weight, 6'2" Redington Butterstick fiberglass (3-piece/slow action).

I'm still very new to this sport and only have a basic understanding of how much of the gear works. Given the conditions I've described, if you were to pick one of the above (or if you have a different suggestion), which would you go with and why?

I haven't cast either of the rods you mentioned but I fish a 6' 2wt 4 piece Orvis Superfine on small streams a lot. My non-fishing brother takes me on hikes a lot and the tube is small enough to put in my pack. It's just about perfect for the task.

That's Superfine is another one I looked at and it really looks like an amazing little rod, but I wasn't sure the price could be justified for the distances I need it to work. It seems that most of my casts are going to be 10' or so and they advertise the great presentation on that rod to be that 15'-30' range.

I would vote for the imperial. Great warranty, made in the USA, reasonable price, and a smooth caster. I love my 7' 3 weight for small streams.

You can take suggestions, but YOU need to cast them all.

For small stream fishing I recommend a 7 1/2 foot, 4 wt. You can get them in 4 piece or 5 piece rods, so they pack down small.

I prefer medium to fast action rods rather than the slow action rods, but that is very much up to the preference of the caster.

troutbert wrote:
For small stream fishing I recommend a 7 1/2 foot, 4 wt. You can get them in 4 piece or 5 piece rods, so they pack down small.

I prefer medium to fast action rods rather than the slow action rods, but that is very much up to the preference of the caster.

Test cast any rod before buying. There is no right or wrong....just different in rod preferences. Different (casting) strokes for different folks.

Again, try before you buy. Better yet, borrow different type rods and actually fish with them, if possible.

Lol...with all that said, I've landed in the same place as Troutbert (above) with respect to the type of rod I prefer for small stream fishing.

I've been using a 7.5' fast action 5 wt. The fast action permits you to cast with very little line out of the tip and make casts with very short casting strokes. Some guys use slower rods and overline them. It's all a preference thing. You'll have to cast the rods to determine what you like. If possible, borrow some of the rods your interested in and fish them for a day.

If what you have is working for you, I'd go with that same outfit for your fishing partners. Now if you just want a second rod for yourself, that's a bit different, a good choice for a small stream rod is a 4 weight 7 1/2 ft.

Ideally, I would love to cast all of these options, but given that there's an extremely limited number of "fly shops" (read: big box stores like Bass Pro Shops), short of driving several hours to maybe find what I'm after, I'm going to have to survey the audience and take a crack at it. Worst case, I can sell the rod if I outright hate it.

The truth of it is, I will probably be using this rod a good bit more than it will be used as a loaner for my friend or even my wife, so I have to like the thing. Alternatively, as long as my wife can tolerate it, she probably won't care too much how it functions, as long as she catches something on it.

I have an Orvis Power Matrix 10 in 7'6" and 4 weight. It's medium fast action and can handle small streamers and weighted nymphs. It works really well in small brushy streams which is what I bought it for. You might want to try out a 4 weight and have something a little different in the arsenal.

Honestly, you guys are making me think more and more about going a little heavier to a 4-weight, but it will probably have to wait for a future purchase. I'm kind of stuck in that I have an Orvis Battenkill #1 reel ready to the job - 2/3 wt - and would rather not have to also buy a reel right now. Then again, I could overline the 4 wt. rod with some 5wt line, or which I also have a reel ready to go.

I prefer a 3wt for small stream fishing. I also prefer a medium-fast action. I've fished 7' 6" 4wts and to me they are just a little heavy, but my idea of small streams, and what inhabits my small streams, may vary.

Like was said above, go cast as many rods as you can and pick the rod you like best. I did that years ago and it turned me into the "Sage snob" I've been told I am now.

I got a 5 foot 3 wt fiberglass rod that cabelas makes. thing is awesome. takes a fish or two to get used to it. the whole rod bends and the fight is much different then a graphite rod. bought if for fishing valley creek. there are a lot of small browns. a 6 inch brown if like catching a 14 inch fish on it. that being said I have pulled up some 15+ in fish on if. they give you a run for your money. I can cast if about 20 to 30 yards. and it is tough as nails.

Six-Gun wrote:
Honestly, you guys are making me think more and more about going a little heavier to a 4-weight, but it will probably have to wait for a future purchase. I'm kind of stuck in that I have an Orvis Battenkill #1 reel ready to the job - 2/3 wt - and would rather not have to also buy a reel right now. Then again, I could overline the 4 wt. rod with some 5wt line, or which I also have a reel ready to go.

I fished some small freestone streams with a guy who had a 7 ft, 3 wt St. Croix and it was a very capable fly rod. He could make long casts with a dry fly with that rod, and he also fished a Wooly Bugger with a split shot with it. I cast it and liked it a lot.

A rod like that is much more versatile than a 6 ft, 2 wt.

So, you might consider something like that, which would work with your reel. And it wouldn't have to be a St. Croix. There are many others to choose from.

Sweet - thanks for the link. I'll have a read shortly.

I have a Orvis Clearwater II, 3wt at 7'6" 4 peice, that I pretty much use all the time at PennyPack Park. Except for now when I'm practicing with big streamers. Getting ready for Salmon Season a month away.
And I will echo (test them before you buy). It is so important to feel confident and comfortable with any rod.

Just as an epilogue to this thread, I ended up getting a 7', 4-piece St. Croix Imperial (fast action) in 3-wt. since I already have an Orvis BBS I reel lined and rigged for it. It's going to get a test here this coming weekend when I go back up to Utah to hit up the creeks IF the weather breaks and these summer storms finally chill out. We've had terrible fishing conditions the past few weekends in a row because of rain and lightning either during, or just before planned trip. Lots of muddy water as a result.

I have a 2wt. 6 ft Cabelas and it's great. Nice for close streams and has enough backbone for bigger fish and flies. Action is like full flex and takes a bit to get used to.GG

Back