acidity of snowmelt

k-bob

k-bob

interesting point: snowmelt can have pH below that of the rain. given our last few winters, this may not help the small stream infertile steam brookie fishing this year or the next...

"Snow melt is initially (the first 20%) more acidic than rain. During snowmelt this large influx of very acidic water can be damaging to fish and invertebrates in streams and lakes."

http://www.appstate.edu/~neufeldhs/ecosystems/hubbardbrookacidrain.htm

uh, by "the small stream infertile steam brookie fishing," I meant...

the fishing in small infertile brookie streams! :)

Though I had no numbers, I knew that to be true. Acid deposition happens in the absence of rain as well. And as long as the rain or dry deposition happens on ground, the soil immediately goes to work at neutralizing it. Which is why, in streams, most of the acid comes from surface runoff, not from groundwater.

With a frozen ground, you get more runoff and less soil effects, so acid rain is worse in winter in general, even without snow.

With snow, dry deposition collects in the top layer. It gets more acidic the longer the snow lays. And then when it does melt, you have the super acidic snow melt, AND the rain that's melting it, all over a still frozen ground so it's almost all still runoff.

That's why I've said that summer pH readings are not the end-all be all of determining acid trouble. You'd really have to test the worst case winter pH.

I do think that, even without considering rock composition, flat solid land surfaces tend to be bad, rocky scree type surfaces are best. All the nooks and crannies prevent direct runoff and encourage water to enter the soil. Not only that, but at the bottom of a deep pile of rocks, you may be below the frost line and any soil is not frozen.

Anyway, that link is looking at it from the point of view of the forest. Which is likely opposite that of the stream. i.e. stream watchers want the forest soil to take the hit. Forest watchers would rather all the acid flow downstream quickly and not degrade the soil.

Of course, the best of all worlds is to lessen the acid deposition to begin with. Which is happening. I'd imagine the results will be slow for both forest and stream, but slower in the forests.

yeah I think we knew that snowmelt was extra acidic, but interesting to see it discussed.

I recall previous alkalinity discussion, and you imho you made good points pat. nice to have the alkalinity data at least for class a. also some other streams in separate reports online.

there are many brookie streams with such good habitat and water temps that they have good fishing at very low alk (say

there are many brookie streams with such good habitat and water temps that they have good fishing at very low alk (say

Shale and other bedrock in SW PA typically produces acidity as it weathers. Shale also weathers readily to clayey soil, whereas more resistant rock types (siltstone and sandstone) will form boulders, cobbles, and gravel. Also, in general there is a lack of alkalinity generating bedrock in SW PA as compared to other regions across the state.

Pat-sorry to nitpick, but we dont have slate in SW PA. Slate is a metamorphic rock.

fair enough, I always use shale and slate interchangeably, but it's not correct.

pat your mention of steep terrain reminded me of a psu thesis on brookies:

"The results of this study indicate that brook trout restoration and protection has its highest potential in smaller higher gradient streams. The addition of many smaller pools rather than a few large pools would provide a greater benefit for brook trout restoration. "

"If a stream has a gentle gradient of 1% it will be limited to
approximately 10 brook trout per 100 m2 85% of the time. If the gradient is steeper at 5%, the brook trout will be limited to 19 to 20 brook trout per 100m2."

I believe the strongest associations w/ st density were for narrowness, then steepness, then ST-only, then smaller drainage size. all susquehanna drainage.

also interesting use of alkalinity in that psu study:

"To ensure that study streams were not highly impacted by acid deposition, only the streams with historic alkalinity values of >5 mg/L were selected."

I'd have guessed that a higher alk score than 5 might have been used to select streams without bad acid depo impact... as pat has mentioned, alk of 5 can be different from alk of 2 or 3...

Back