Acadia National Park

B

BTbandit

Might be taking a trip up to the Bar Harbor area of Maine to visit Acadia this upcoming year. Curious if anyone had any experience with fly fishing the saltwater in this area? I’m also planning on taking trout gear for fishing the streams and lakes in the park.

I've fly fished for brookies as most of the streams up there on the island have them. Pretty wild catching brooks within a dozen yards of where these streams dump into the ocean.

I’ve read that some of these streams have brook trout that move in and out of the saltwater. Seems like that would be a pretty neat fish to catch.

The only stream on the island that I knew held WT, was Stanley Brook.
And the last time I vacationed there - around 10 years ago now - I had planned on fishing it,
But it was closed to fishing that summer - and I didn't try any other streams
Interesting to hear that there are others on Mt Desert Island that do.

As for salt water: On one trip up there, we camped along Somes Sound - which is a long deep fjord that splits the island.
And it's a very popular place to fish

Had no FF gear with me.
But did have a spinning rod along for my young daughter to use.
And we caught spanish mackerel there on lures ( they were very good on the grill!)

Might be able to FF there.
But you'd really have to get your rig down deep

My gf wants to take a fall trip there someday and I was wondering about fishing there as well. I've heard there's landlocked salmon there too but i have zero experience with them

dryflyguy wrote:
The only stream on the island that I knew held WT, was Stanley Brook.
And the last time I vacationed there - around 10 years ago now - I had planned on fishing it,
But it was closed to fishing that summer - and I didn't try any other streams
Interesting to hear that there are others on Mt Desert Island that do.

I did fish that and it indeed had BT. Most other streams have BT in them too. Access is pretty good given most of it is in a park, but you do have to watch. Not that the locals care about anyone fishing, they just don't like the typical Tourist trespassing.

There is a few beaver ponds on the stream dumping into Jordan Pond. Never got a chance to hit them, but they look really good.

Back