About Cabelas

F

Fishidiot

Interesting article about the Cabelas store story. As one who enjoys visiting Cabelas (fun way to spend a cold winter day) and has been a pretty good customer.......I've still had a sense that the company has been on a bit too big of a building spree in recent years.
Whatever the case, Cabelas is doing well and their stock is way up. The article suggests that the popularity of Duck Dynasty and similar reality TV fare as well as high demand for guns and ammo have made for good business. However you feel about big box stores such as this, this is an interesting article (and not too long).

Cabelas

Fishidiot wrote:
I've still had a sense that the company has been on a bit too big of a building spree in recent years.
Whatever the case, Cabelas is doing well and their stock is way up. Cabelas

When you go public, you have an obligation for growth... shareholders want a return. Expansion, in retail, is that vehicle.

I suppose that Cabelas is doing fine. They might be doing better, however, cause they are not getting any of my dough.

You can see the major owners of Cabelas here:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=CAB+Major+Holders

I buy local rather than of the net if I can. The local shop takes very good care of me. So why not be loyal? The only time I order stuff from cabelas is if its on close out like a line that's 50% off stuff like that.

Cabela's isn't getting my money either. Poor customer service. Ordered 2 rods from them site to store pick-up. They were the Three Forks rod on sale for 30$. Well long story short when we got there to pick up the rod they didn't have them. Said they got them in and put them out on the racks and sold them not knowing they were already accounted for. So I had to wait another THREE MONTHS for them to get me one, and both trips I wanted them for I had to borrow a buddy's.

Some people rant and rave over the big box stores, I spend every penny I can locally at small shops to help the areas economy but I shop some at big box stores as well such as Cabela's. Cabela's started as the owner selling flies and other hunting/fishing equipment out of his garage, he pursued his business into what it is today. Nothing wrong with that, if I owned my own business and it had its chances to grow, you bet you your *** I would let it grow.

I used to spend most of my money on hunting and fishing gear at Cabelas and would catch myself spending 4 hours there at time. I dragged the girlfriend their for her first time and spent 5 hours in there and ended up closing the place and being the last customers out the door that night. She almost killed me!

Now I definitely try to spend more of my money local but I agree with Krotts post that there is definitely nothing wrong with what Cabelas has become. Cabelas also supports the local economy and look what the area around the Hamburg store has become. One thing a lot of people forget is since Cabelas is public there are a lot of pension funds that own its stock so their stock increase does affect public workers retirement in a small way. I know that's a reach but its still the case.

martin0206 wrote:
I dragged the girlfriend their for her first time and spent 5 hours in there and ended up closing the place and being the last customers out the door that night. She almost killed me!

Hint - Murphy's Jewelers is just across 61 from Cabelas. ;-)

guess Ed has had the wifey to cabelas too..

Back