A " Real,Live" Mop Fly

BruceC2C

BruceC2C

Any GravelBar, will do just fine. 365. Fresh&Salt
Took the skunk fishing a couple hours at one of my favorite streams.

The big time bonus of the day was at home, gathering my waders to dry on the porch...
I see a 2" CHARTRUESE Crane Fly Larvae crawling on my waders, that I could have easily missed.

It was every bit as vibrantly colored as the family of them featured here in the photo.
REALLY made my day!!

As much as I wanted to take a pic,
I was juggling him hand to hand as he was crawling along,
so my priority was to deliver him to a soft grassy spot and let nature run her course.

Attachments

• PXL_20240522_120955226.jpg
    PXL_20240522_120955226.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
You should have taken a picture of the larva!!!!
Agreed. Are there actually crane fly larvae that are chartreuse?

I Google "crane fly larvae" and looked at the images, and didn't see any crane fly naturals that are chartreuse.

I think I know what you are talking about. I was fishing the Mahoning last week and saw this fat bright green worm laying on the bottom. I have no idea what it was. I thought it was some kind of caterpillar that dropped from the trees.

Likely what you saw was an inch worm. I don’t think crane fly larva have the ability to cling to your waders. That’s ok, that’s what the green weenie fly is for :sick:

Likely what you saw was an inch worm. I don’t think crane fly larva have the ability to cling to your waders. That’s ok, that’s what the green weenie fly is for :sick:
The bright green worms that hang from trees and wind up hanging from my hat brim?

Not speaking for Bruce , but what I saw was bigger and fatter than an inchworm, probably 1/4" in diameter and about 2" long and was laying on the bottom, did not float like an inchworm.

Back