A New Chest Flybox Company

I need pockets-- are there pockets on these boxes? Where does one put their camera? or cigarettes? or flask?

I could design the ideal tackle-carrying solution... for me. I would never be satisfied with a metal or plastic tray system protruding from my chest. I prefer a bulky chest pack that protrudes from my chest instead.

I just carry my schit in a wheelbarrow.

I've used a chest box for years. I'm sick of it. The protrusion, the lack of storage (besides flies), the straps, I'm done with it.

Now I carry a working box in my coat or waders.

troutbert wrote:
They are like any other type of tackle. Whether you choose to own and use it is a personal choice. But don't try to punk others for the tackle they use.

The chest fly boxes are part of the PA flyfishing legacy, and are quite an item of craftmanship.

Stop it Dwight Poop can punk anyone he wants this is Merica

Fredrick wrote:
troutbert wrote:
They are like any other type of tackle. Whether you choose to own and use it is a personal choice. But don't try to punk others for the tackle they use.

The chest fly boxes are part of the PA flyfishing legacy, and are quite an item of craftmanship.

Stop it Dwight Poop can punk anyone he wants this is Merica

I agree. Among all of the stupid fly fishing related trinkets the Richardson box takes the cake. Its "amazing PA'ness" is irrelevant to how impractical and ridiculous this thing is IMO. Lol at people saying they simplify then add custom back packs, side packs, etc to carry all the crap the Richardson box will not hold.

And well played Jack. Your MSPaint skills are great!

jdaddy wrote:
Among all of the stupid fly fishing related trinkets the Richardson box takes the cake.

Some people like to put their load in any old bag, and some want to strap it on.

-shrug-

Richardson fly boxes, wicker creels, and "10 & 2" casting motion...

jdaddy, have you ever used a Richardson Flybox? If you have and did'nt like it fine you are entitled to your opinion. Their are fellows who don't like it after trying it out on the stream. If you have not then do not not give your opinion on something you know nothing about. My guess is you have never tried one. Those of us who own them would not go fishing without it. Myself, I think those soft chestbacks that everybody and his brother markets are worthless. That's just my opinion. :-o

wgmiller wrote:
Richardson fly boxes, wicker creels, and "10 & 2" casting motion...
you forgot fiberglass and bamboo flyrods. I love the nostalgia myself.

BrookieChaser wrote:
I've used a chest box for years. I'm sick of it. The protrusion, the lack of storage (besides flies), the straps, I'm done with it.

Now I carry a working box in my coat or waders.
Just wait until you drop your flybox in the water and can't get to it before it floats away.

I'm sure that'll happen, just when there is an epic hatch on too.

I lost a lot flies over the years because they'd get hooked together in the bins of my chest box. I'd pull a fly out and three more would go along. Then all three would fall into the creek before I caught them.

That's why bins are evil. That issue has nothing whatsoever to do with whether the box straps on your chest or goes in a pocket. My Richardson is C&F slit foam on floor and lid of every tray. Obviously in varying sizes and spacings. But no bins for me!

As for other trinkets. Yes, they do have pockets in the form of pouches on the straps, but I don't use em.

Nippers and forceps go on a zinger attached to the strap. Camera attaches to wader strap and tucks under. Keys, tippet, shot, phone in the chest pocket of the waders, or else in shirt/coat pockets if I wear something over the waders.

The camera is the part of my set up that I'm least happy with. Longer strap and it hangs too low. Shorter and its awkward to use without disconnecting. Too heavy for a zinger.

pcray1231 wrote:

The camera is the part of my set up that I'm least happy with. Longer strap and it hangs too low. Shorter and its awkward to use without disconnecting. Too heavy for a zinger.

Pat,

Did you consider/try a net zinger?

I am old fashioned and use the Richardson in conjunction with my vest. The front tray I use as a work station and storage for my split shot,tippet rings, knot tying tool,indicators etc. The other trays are for my flies. Everything else goes in or on my vest. Works good for me.

I like the Downes chest box. It is also made in PA. It is reasonably priced and versatile. I like the idea of a flat work area in front. I really don't have a need for carrying a bunch of different flies so two stacked boxes is usually enough and that doesn't protrude much.

I hear you on the bins, Pat. I like bins for my dry flies though.

The Simms Headwaters sling pack, and chest pack for that matter, have the fold down work stations that everyone is saying is a pro for chest boxes.

Back