A loaded rod and a 215 pound fish....oops

pabrookie94

pabrookie94

This past weekend I went fishing at Dunbar creek and then hopped over to Meadow run. While at Meadow I hopped up on a rock and began to load my cast...well I noticed that my fly line was not shooting out in front of me but still had plenty of tension. I thought I let my size 18 midge go but looked down to find it buried in my finger! I could not cut it because I didn't have pliers but gave me a whole new respect for pinching barbs....its a great idea that I should start following.
Needless to say I yanked it out and it hurt like no other but all is well. A word to the wise, make sure you actually let go of the fly before you begin your cast! :)

Been there done that as Brad from Potter is my witness.

It's a good time Chaz...the pain wasn't horrible but it definitely didn't feel the greatest

Wait until you pierce your ear with a #10 wooly bugger, then I'll feel sorry for you. I've never pierced my ear, by the way, either willfully or negligently.

I stuck a heavily weighted size 6 bugger in my hat last summer Jack. Does that count?

My dad has always told me if I came home with an ear pierced he would rip it out....he might laugh about a size 10 bugger though Jack

I once stuck a size 16 EHC fly into my hand between my thumb and index finger. I shortlined a nice brown trout and it flopped around while I attempted to remove the hook. Short story, the trout threw the hook and it stuck in me! It did'nt hurt alot but was tough to get out and it was barbless. I ALWAYS fish with barbless hooks.

A midge is one thing. The pain increases as the hook size increases.

I've never seriously hooked myself past the barb while fishing. I have hooked a dog. And I got hooked while body surfing in the ocean with a random (unattached) hook in the surf!

It's quite a funny story, actually, and resulted in fire trucks and an ambulance, and me getting my swimming shorts cut off on a public beach in front of a dozen or so paramedics. I left with a towel around me!

I've had a fish get me when I had a double fly rig...trying to remove the first hook and the fish flops and sticks you with the second hook. Actually I think it's happened more than once. I get stuck to some extent almost every outing!

Saw a lady hit her husband in the back of his head with a rattle trap, embeded both treble hooks. OUCH!!! I caught myself with a Clouser and after that i use the circle cast.

Maurice gave me a roll casting lesson after I hooked his hat fishing for steelhead with an overhand cast.

Double nymph rig....#10 almost through the nostril and #14 PT buried to the bend behind my ear. I was bleeding for hours after that 40 mph gust fed me my rig.

#4 Clouser crayfish through the hat and embedded in scalp..... lost a hunk of flesh upon removal.

#10 drake emerger in the cheek....again during high wind conditions.

All hooks had barbs and the one in the tip of the nose cartilage was the toughest / most painful to remove.

Did have a smallmouth jump as I reached to 'lip' him. Stuck one treble in meaty part of thumb....second hook in tip of thumb. Every shake or his head rubberd point of hook on bone under thumbnail. That one brought me to one knee for sure. Had to simply rip out with forces as fishing buddy started puking when he saw it

Some of these stories are pretty good...Not for the teller of course but its kind of funny to see that no matter how much experience we all have getting hooked is always a possibility!

always wear glasses!

Back