A. K. Best fly tying book

PACOFRANSICO

PACOFRANSICO

I got a copy of A.K. Best Advanced Fly Tying today at a disount store. I picked up for only 3.99.
513A8k946FL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

So far I'ts a great read. Plus has some goot tips on matterial selection, tying eqipment maint. and some useful patterns he has developed. And I would redcomend it to any serious fly tyier.

Ollies discount store, or a book clearing house?

Sometimes interesting stuff shows up at Ollie's.

Ollies has about 3 or 4 of his books, It was originally priced at $40.

I got a copy of that one and a copy of "Fly Tying with A. K. Best" I think that one was 7 or 8 dollars. Still a good deal. Yes Ollies had them both. I like going there and looking through the selection of books. You can find some good deals from time to time.

WE have an Ollies here in the wild wild west i got some great raingear camo for Erie one year for $10.00 they got lotsa good deals on outdoor stuff ............A.K. Best is probably one of the best ever , Geirachs buddy , it's interesting to read about out west but alot doesn't shake out the same here , if his writing is anywhere near as good as his tying i'm bettin it's good reading.

osprey, check out A.K.'s books. They are really very good. I don't really look to much at the patterns because they are geared more for the west. He does tell a story about coming east and fishing Spring Creek in Bellefonte during the sulphur hatch. His techniques are what I find interesting.

I stopped at the Ollie's outside of Altoona and they only had 1 of A.K.'s books. If anyone is willing to pick up a few extras of any of the others I would buy them. The one I got is rather limited and really only discusses using new materials.

I'll have to try and swing by our local Ollie's this week... I know every time something good appears at another one, mine seems pretty lame.

But someday, it'll be motherlode... Racks of the Benchside Reference for pennies! Right? No. Poop.

Racks of the Benchside Reference for pennies!

And ebay for profit.

If your local store has anything good let me know. Maybe everyone could do that and then we would all be like educated on Ollies inventory.

fwiw, the Bethlehem Ollies on Airport road has another AK Best book ($7), some crappy encyclopedia (good for someone who doesn't know what people are talking about I guess), and a pair of Stackpole pocket books.

The pocket books are cool, they're compiled selections of classic authors, the two they had were W Stewart on wets and Thad Norris on trout. Was really digging the Stewart book.

They were $17, on sale for $4. I want the rest of the series, but no way in hell am I dropping $17 on these things.

I'm editing this now, because I was wrong, its not the aforementioned AK Best book.. Its different. less about patterns, and more about techniques and refinements.

I don't need pattern books, but refinement of style I do.. I'll get the title when I get home, I should be workingnow.

http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Tying-K-K-Best/dp/0811703754

BKS-FLT-BEST-TAK-HARD-0000.jpg

That book, not the one at the top of this thread, is at Ollie's on Airport Rd in Bethlehem.

Thats the same one at the Altoona area Ollie's. Its not a bad book, I just figured it would b e more detailed with more flies in it. Still worth the few bucks that it costs though.

I don't need pattern books, but refinement of style I do..

You are probably one of the most stylish people I have ever encountered in my life. I mean seriously. Write a book.

derailed.jpg

jdaddy wrote:
I don't need pattern books, but refinement of style I do..

You are probably one of the most stylish people I have ever encountered in my life. I mean seriously. Write a book.

I came to the realization today, while not working, that I want to write a book called Even Third Stage Guild Navigators Get the Blues. I don't care what its about, as long as I can call it that.

I'll try to get to a few Ollies in the area and post what they have in stock currently.

Went to Ollies in Allentown. One tying book but it was junk. I must have hit better Ollies in my life because that place was . .. . . dumb or something.

Back