A HUGE Fly Fishing Guide.

I've enjoyed watching his videos for a few months now. I think he's funny and wouldn't mind spending some time on the water with him.

He did a video rating other youtube fly fishing channels , I thought he was pretty spot on .

I've watched him for awhile. He appears to be himself all the time regardless of what others may think of him. Also doesn't take himself too seriously. Videos are informative and entertaining. Like above, might not be everyone's cup of tea.

He did a video rating other youtube fly fishing channels , I thought he was pretty spot on .

I kinda watched him til he did that. I couldn’t tell for sure if he was serious or not, but it leaned like he was given the amount of “constructive” criticism he was trying to give. All the channels he was ripping on are better than his IMO. Turned me off. Haven’t watched him since.

If it was all a gag, then the delivery was poor. But I don’t think it was. Haven’t missed him since, so I guess that says something about his content versus the channels I do religiously watch.

I kinda watched him til he did that. I couldn’t tell for sure if he was serious or not, but it leaned like he was given the amount of “constructive” criticism he was trying to give. All the channels he was ripping on are better than his IMO. Turned me off. Haven’t watched him since.

If it was all a gag, then the delivery was poor. But I don’t think it was. Haven’t missed him since, so I guess that says something about his content versus the channels I do religiously watch.
Ok, what did he get wrong about it ?

Ok, what did he get wrong about it ?

I dunno. I’m not gonna get in a debate about his opinions on other YT channels. It doesn’t matter from my perspective. I thought it was a pretty lousy thing to do, giving unsolicited criticism like that when people put a lot of hard work, time, and effort into that stuff. More time and effort than he does. Maybe they all took it as constructive, and if they did, good for them.

Frankly, to me, he came across like a d**k, and it soured my interest in him and his channel, which was admittedly modest to start with. I was an occasional viewer, not watch every video type of viewer.

If he was serious, he had to know that would be a polarizing video to post. May gain him some viewership, may lose some. He maybe doesn’t give a F. Good for him. I certainly don’t give a F about not watching him now. His content was mediocre IMO anyway. Like I said, I haven’t missed him.

If you like the video, or like his content, or whatever, that’s cool. Keep watching him. You don’t need to explain to me why you think he’s right or why you liked it. Just watch his channel and enjoy.

The first minute was bearable, after that who knows.

Everyone’s got an angle. Mostly to try to make some sorta name for themselves.

One of the funny ones to me is wildfly and short bus diaries from Instagram. I’m not totally ripping them really but these guys like many I see is so contrived.

These guys are fixing up a short school bus to take trips to fish and film their adventures. It’s just silly to ME because they are spending twice as much on gas and taking twice as long to get places. Silly.

Seeing the world at 45 mph. Hah.

I made that comment on a post and they didn’t like it. Hah.

Again, it’s fly fishing and not really a concern at all but in the context of reviewing/analysis of content it’s silly. To each his own. Millennial stuff

I'm not a HUGE fan. He tries to come off as funny but for someone who tries to portray himself as relaxed and easy going, he spends a lot of time worrying about other people taking fly fishing too seriously.

The problem is it's just not that funny. Is it trying to walk a line between informative and funny, as opposed to Hank Patterson, who I have found mostly just irreverently funny? I'm not sure. I don't feel like I'm learning anything or laughing. (Ok, "Every bird's a bald eagle" got a laugh.)

The comparison to Hank, for me, reveals a lot. The underlying joke for him seems to be that fly fishing, as a whole, is just a bit silly and absurd. I think that's true and amusing.

The underlying HUGE joke seems to be that lots of folks immersed in FF culture are doing it wrong and should be parodied. It's too inside baseball. It mostly just makes me glad that I live and fish in places where I truly never get real life experiences of those stereotypes being mocked.

I suppose I'm more critical than other people. If you knew me, you would probably share that opinion. Therefore, without being a TROLL, I like that he doesn't try to be everyone's friend, aka: a phoney. There are things he doesn't like and he doesn't cover it up. Most everything from press and you-tubers is "this is great" "Isn't this great?" "you're going to love this" "just what I've been asking for".... that stuff. That gets static, but that's the nature of the 'net'.

These guys are fixing up a short school bus to take trips to fish and film their adventures. It’s just silly to ME because they are spending twice as much on gas and taking twice as long to get places. Silly.

Seeing the world at 45 mph. Hah.

I made that comment on a post and they didn’t like it. Hah.

I've watched a number of Short Bus videos, which I've enjoyed. I could be wrong, but it seems to me they really just enjoy each other's company, and share a common interest. So, driving, instead of flying to certain destinations, gives them much more time together and makes it more of an adventure. These guys are real friends.

I've watched a number of Short Bus videos, which I've enjoyed. I could be wrong, but it seems to me they really just enjoy each other's company, and share a common interest. So, driving, instead of flying to certain destinations, gives them much more time together and makes it more of an adventure. These guys are real friends.
I agree with both of you. I can do without cooking and selling me stuff, but they are usually fun videos. And that kid can use a camera. He is also quite clear with the message that he is not an expert. There are a lot channels that pretend to know more than they do, as if you can figure this game out in 5 years or something....

A HUGE Fly-Fishing Guide
I stumbled into this guy. For me , he's great , and I know he won't be everyone's cup of tea. He's not the "everyone's great". Very much calling out tools, ratchets, try-hards and fanboys.
He also reviewed cheap flies recently, even though they knew it was him and sent him their best... He did something with rod lockers one year, and then bought one two years later, probably for sponsorship. I am not sure he is as self-aware as he thinks he is, but then who is. I find him far more cringey at times than say Hank, who is quite clear that his video is a joke

Not ripping them ( cause if I did you would certainly know) but the bus is the hook in the videos and unnecessary to ME and that’s the thing that differentiates them on the net , you know to garner attention. This is a younger man’s thing I guess.

If they or others enjoy it thats fine by me and Im sure I could have a good time hanging out with those guys as well.

Don’t think they are braggers or experts but I’d buy more of the bus business if they didn’t have others driving in a truck also.

Guess I’ve gotten grumpy. Hah. Also, this is barely a concern to me because you know it’s fly fishing. I’ve had dozens of huge road trips from weeks to months long and driving long distances but going 45 mph ( this would drive me mad) and paying double for fuel is your thing more power to you.

Wooly bugged guy - again I’m not trying to rip him cause it’s just fishing , he’s ok and competent and on the whole this not a concern but the last time I saw something he was going to a Keystone selects and using squirmys and another standard nymph. Boring

I’m sure he has an appeal to newer fly anglers.

I’d be more impressed if he actually fished a hatch and some dries and can explain the circumstances surrounding the bug life cycle etc.. Nymphing is very effective and on occasion I can get into it but again on the whole I’d be much more interested watching him fish a hatch.

Dont watch people channels on any regular basis so not sure if WB guy has evolved more.

Based on native trout angling YouTube I’ve seen, wish I took more videos of rare trout I was able to catch and the incredible places they reside. But usually don’t want to waste the time trying to make a decent video when there is fishing to be done. I watched a video of a buffoon fishing for CA golden trout and set the camera down, ran over to his 5 incher and spit in his hand to wet ( you know to keep from being shamed about a dry hand ) as the trout lay in the grass 10 feet from the creek. I turned the video off 2 minutes in.

Anyways , we just had big rains and the streams are blown so I find myself here thinking about fishing. Good luck to all fly anglers.

I enjoy the WildFly videos. I think Scotty is an excellent filmmaker and they don’t all feature the short bus. Yeah - I think the bus is more for show than practical use. They did get a newer one but all it has inside really are some 2 x 4 bunk beds and a table.

I thought Allegheny Native made nice videos but they don’t seem to be active anymore.

Really enjoy the Carpe Diem and Rolf Nylinder films even though I don’t understand their language.

Ben and his HUGE personality aside, and somewhat OT, Tight Loops (Chase and Aimee Bartee) is by far the best in my opinion as far as production quality and videography/photography/narration/message etc...

I think Ben is pretty funny he don't get to hard on being a certain way is right or wrong. Wildfly dudes kill it in there videos I really enjoy them. You dudes get to grumpy about the bus lol. Let them do there thing. Iv actually fished the same sections they fished in Montana I thought that was pretty cool. Hardman fishing also makes really good trout videos from Appalachia and they catch some hog browns.

Back