A great warm water weekend

BelAirSteve

BelAirSteve

I headed up to Central PA to spend the weekend warm water fishing with my brother.

I arrived Friday evening and we hit a local resevoir to do some panfishing. We fished poppers and streamers until it got dark, and we caught smallmouth, largemouth and pickerel. Nothing big, but fun. Gotta love the way largemouth explode to a popper!

Saturday we spent the whole day exploring the Frankstown branch. We didn't catch a lot of fish, and none were very big. We fished hard both on top and down below. We had the most success with buggers and swimming nymph patterns. I was surprised that in some of the areas where the water looked the most promising, we didn't see any sign of fish. But it meant a full day on the water with my big brother! We caught the usual suspects...smallies, sunfish, rock bass, fall fish, chubs, and I even caught a nice stocked brown trout along the way. A nice surprise when you are expecting a dink smallie and an 11" brown slams your olive bugger!

Sunday morning we headed back to the resevoir...my brother, myself and my nephew. While they were rigging up, on the first cast with a popper, a 13" largemouth killed it! While I was getting him out of the weeds, two more largemouth were following along, and one probably went 15". My nephew caught a nice sunfish while my brother found a small pickerel. Shortly after that, my brother located a pod of suspended crappie. All three of us landed crappie for the next 20 minutes or so on white buggers. I hit the road to head back home, and they stayed. My brother called me later to tell me my nephew landed the biggest fish of the entire weekend...a 15" pickerel! I was happy for him, and sorry that I was not there to witness it...but there will be other opportunities I'm sure.

good stuff there Steve....

Glad you had fun on the water. my family and i will be heading to our river camp along the allegheny for our family vacation from july 19th-24th. ill be doing a mixture of searching brookie streams with an adams, fishing little sandy creek for a day, fishing for muskies with a baitcaster, and fishing for bass on the fly and with spinning tackle. cant wait!!!

Back