A ? for Mike K.

A

AndyP

Mike - I was talking with some fellow TU members at the VFTU fundraiser today and a question came up that I was hoping you could help with. We were talking about the Valley Creek fish kill that happened after the AquaPa water main break. What is the follow up procedure after events like this ? Is the section of stream re-visited and monitored in any way ? Is the bug life and crayfish looked into ? Any insight you can provide is appreciated.

It would not be appropriate for me to comment on that case, which may still be active, or comment more generally since your question was asked in the context of that case. Sorry.

Okay, I guess I understand that. Was not aware it was a "case" if you mean in a legal sense. I was looking for a general answer and maybe I should not have phrased it with regards to a particular event. Mike, I appreciate you putting yourself out there on this forum and interacting with the fishing community so I did not mean to put you in an awkward spot. I guess I can put a call into PFBC and work thru the channels.

Anybody know what kind of follow up is done after a watershed has a fish kill?

My guess is they show up, stand around, take some pics and get a couple glasses of water to be used for evidence toward the fines. Then forget about it. They are not "riverkeepers" afterall. Testing water don't sell licenses.

link i found to an article that suggests reconstruction of the pipeline is planned, but there is legal action initiated by tredyffrin to get co-users of the pipeline to help pay for the work.

recent article on philly.com

mikesl wrote:
link i found to an article that suggests reconstruction of the pipeline is planned, but there is legal action initiated by tredyffrin to get co-users of the pipeline to help pay for the work.

The sewer line issue is a different one from the water line main break. Same stream, different environmental pressures :-/

salmonoid wrote:
mikesl wrote:

The sewer line issue is a different one from the water line main break. Same stream, different environmental pressures :-/

^Yes, you're right. If the poop doesn't get'em....well the chlorine will!:roll:

Not sure if I need to clarify but my question for Mike could have applied to any stream incident where a fish kill happened. My thinking was not about any punitive aspect but more along environmental lines.
I'm sure it comes down to resources of manpower and $$$ but it would nice to see if a stream survey would occur post fish kill and then followed up 1 year later to see if the fish population rebounded and to what extent.
Regarding the sewer line repair work in Tredyffrin along Valley the work should be completed quickly. They are moving along very nicely with repair work.

Can't speak for Pennsylvania, but I was reading about the Gallatin River, and how it had a big sewer spill recently when a pipe broke releasing millions of gallons into the river. Here is some of what they are doing....

http://outsidebozeman.com/community/blogs/stephanie-lynn/fishing-answers

Just remember that this fish kill was not a sewer line break. The broken WATER MAIN was the cause. Chlorine kills gills! Back in 1984 there was a similar occurrence and fish kill. Two years later the bugs were back. But keep in mind, that is when there were much better hatches and far less storm water. Just a guess but it will be way longer now for the bugs to return and an entire year class of trout and minnows were killed as well as the larger trout found. Just my guess it will be several years as a start.

Andy-p, I work for an engineering consultant, 90% of our workload includes watermain / sanitary / storm main replacements and other work. Most of the time during a spill or any type of accident where foreign material is washed into a stream and negatively impacts it, the owner is required to remove the material and "remedy" the incident within 15 days of that accident. $10,000 per day fine, monitoring ect.. each case is handled differently but I've never seen them required to restock fishes of any kind, only remedy the quality of water, public water supplies are handled in a more serious manner as well

Back