A dozen scuds

JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

Here are a few of the scuds I tied last night. I've been tying for two years and I get the vise out occasssionally maybe a few times a month.

I realized last week fishing my boxes are getting empty, I try to just tie them well enough that they are fishable.

I used zip-lock bag for backs, some glitter glue on a few of them and some copper or gold wire and weighted them with lead.

Attachments

• dozen scuds.JPG
    dozen scuds.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 14
Very Nice. I especially like the ones the hair dubbing out the front of the fly, much like legs.

I did a dip seine for the first time last week, I've gotta say the ones to the right column look very much like the Little Lehigh scuds.

I tied a bunch of the Heck Simple Shrimp with raffeta backs.

not bad there, the ones on the right should get em in the LL.

I'm trying for a pattern that will work on Big Spring and Letort since I'm fairly close. I've decided that I need to challenge myself little more and my goal is to land a trophy on both BS and Letort. Or at least I'd like to catch more than one or two small trout per outing.

The other week I noticed my selection is pretty weak for the limestones. I had a bunch of generic looking scuds and even a few rusty hooks in my box, it's time for spring cleanup.

My patterns get better and then I copy the ones I like the best. Last night was like a test run just trying different colors styles. I am running low on hooks right now, think I'll pick some up soon as I get a chance, I got a few items on the short list to pick up for tying.

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
I'm trying for a pattern that will work on Big Spring and Letort since I'm fairly close. I've decided that I need to challenge myself little more and my goal is to land a trophy on both BS and Letort. quote]

Looks to me like you're ready. :)

Got to agree those will catch fish.

Jake, nice flies. They make mine look ugly.

I'm planning on tying some scuds for a Spring Creek outing later this month. First, are scuds active in the winter? Can anyone tell me what size I should be tying these in? I was thinking 16 or 18, should I go bigger?

Thanks guys.

-B

Mine are mostly size 14-16 but I would try to keep them small. I plan on tying some size 18 once I get better at tying them.

Thanks Jake. I've tied a couple on 16s and tried to tie one on an 18. Until this month I had only tied steelhead and bass flies. It is tough to tie on a size 18 or smaller hook, but I'm working on it.

NICE Jake......those will work on Big Spring and LeTort and the ones your after , trophy , pretty much are on an all shrimp diet plan. The color seems to be the thing that matters most , a shade browner or lighter than the masses seems to ring the dinner bell , i think they think they are dead or dying or injured , but it works , honest.

I heard they turn kind of an orange / brown color when they die.

Were these tied in your new tying room out back? :lol:

during the winter I would say go larger as the smaller ones are all grown by now, they mate in spring summer and thats when you see alot of smaller ones.

Wgmiller:
Were these tied in your new tying room out back?

No, but I have thought about turning the upstairs of the shed into a tying cave. For right now I just like the fact that it is the only empty space I have and I can go up there and look at the dust and old remnants of hornet nests and just have quiet.

Besides any thing I put up there I have build it right there, not much room for bringing items up the narrow steps. I'll have to run an extension cord from the down stairs too.

Attachments

• Second floor shed.JPG
    Second floor shed.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 6
  • The Tin Roof Inn.JPG
    The Tin Roof Inn.JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 5
Nice scuds! Those will work.

Back