a day to explore

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I've been catching some smallmouth the past few years in a certain section of trout stream so I wanted to explore it a bit more farther down towards the mouth. I had a few hours to do so and Greg decided to join me. The water was pretty low but we had some success catching a few smallmouth. I believe we caught 5 or 6 and there were many carp present. None of the smallmouth were of any size, but I know they're in there. I'll be back

I told Greg as we were on the stream that carp on they fly are fun when there are mulberries present. I've never seen a mulberry tree before. So I'm fishing this back eddy and a bird is up in the tree above me and something plops into the water.... a MULBERRY! I of course didn't have a mulberry fly so I found something as close as possible. An orange egg was close to the non ripe berries, but I didn't have any close to as big. It was as good as it gets so I tied one on with a small spit shot to make it plop. Well saw a feeding carp and tossed it in close to him. He immediately took the fly and the fight was on. It was a goal of mine since I started fly fishing to catch a carp on the fly and this fulfilled it. It was a ball and I will be back for these too. It was a pretty fun morning.

Ryan

Nice photos . Carp are a good time

Ryan,

Well done on both the smallies and the carp. I hooked my first carp on a dry fly 8 years ago and I was, well, hooked ;-) . Been chasing them alot this summer as the LMB don't seem to be cooperating and beside, carp are much more fun!

peace-tony c.

Nicely done Ryan!

looks like a great day Ryan! awesome carp!

thats kick ***. it makes me really want to go out and become a WWI.

Back