a Crappie day

V

Van_Cleaver

After some depressing news from my dentist, I worked a couple hours and stopped by Marsh Creek to clear my head. The usual spring crappie massacre was taking place and sadly I didn't have my hip boots but did have my rod and sling pack.

Fish were biting but not super aggressive, so I fished a jig style fly under a strike indicator. Guys with spinning gear were hammering them and for a change some guys were actually releasing most or all of there fish. Conversely some were keeping every fish which probably averaged 7-8", typical for the bridge area.

Most of the hits were on the pause and I probably landed around a doz. and a half which was laughable considering how many hits I had.
Still and all it was a nice reality break and I actually landed two decent fish about 10".

Nice way to give yourself a little break from the reality of day to day life. Hope everything goes well with the dentist.

Thx krayfish. Emboldened by my earlier success I hit my local lake after dinner since my wife was on a Zoom meeting. Much tougher fishing but way more relaxing as there was no one else angling in sight. Usually a sign the crappie aren't on a tear; which they weren't.

Fished from 7:30 til almost dark and hooked 4 crappie and landed three. Also four small bass. Nice sunset, and promising for the near future.

Theres a good crappie poplulation at a lake near my house

What type of areas or structure do you normally find them in? Thx

I am just shore fishing but this time of year they usually stage near shallow areas; especially if there are lots of rocks which warm in the sun or dark bottom. They are still pre spawn but the timing is tied to the water temp. A cold spell will likely push them out to deeper water. It is often feast or famine fishing but when they are in you will know.

The good thing about all this: once you pattern them you can usually find them in the same area year after year. I'm keeping a log book again for reference.

This time of year is fun for crappie. There are too many good fishing options this time of year.

I will be checking my local lake soon. Every year the big bull gills come into the shallows in the same spot. When they start taking top water poppers is when I'll be there a lot, the crappies are mixed in the same area and willing take poppers, it's a blast.

HenryDavid I'll need the coordinates for that spot, lol. They'll also take that fly you posted.

Baron, of course you are welcome anytime. I was surprised to find out yesterday many gills have already moved into the shallows and were greedily taking top water poppers. Caught a few nice crappies and a small bass on the poppers as well. It seems kind of early but I'm not going to tell them. Down side was there were quite a few bait fisherman cashing in on the action and stringing them up.

Yesterday at gouldsboro. No action. Two nice perch and a handful of pickerel. So windy I could hardly fish but I did. So windy I could hardly row but I did. Nothing seen on top. I rolled and lost one crappy. Better days ahead.

Yesterday at gouldsboro. No action. Two nice perch and a handful of pickerel. So windy I could hardly fish but I did. So windy I could hardly row but I did. Nothing seen on top. I rolled and lost one crappy. Better days ahead.

Back