A couple quick plugs...

6xAdams(Jones)

6xAdams(Jones)

I just purchased a rod blank from Hook & Hackle. They're a PA-based business and were very helpful with switching over from an item that is not available due to supply chain issues, to one that shipped the day I discussed it with them. Someone actually answered the phone when I called, and I didn't have to wade through this or that electronic menu option to have a conversation. I look forward to purchasing from them in the future.
After 30+ years of fat-fingering knots, I broke down and bought a Knot Needle (I had a Bass Pro gift card to spend). It has already paid for itself by allowing me to tie the easiest nail knot ever - on the first attempt. All the other knots I practiced on are so much easier than tying without the tool. It's just a good design idea and I look forward to tying blood knots and terminal knots in seconds and not minutes - getting my fly back on the water much more quickly than before. Tutorials are provided online and are very easy to follow. I assume the only drawback is that it doesn't attach to a zinger and doesn't float. I'll have to keep in in-pocket, unless I'm on dry land.
Regards, Glenn

I just purchased a rod blank from Hook & Hackle. They're a PA-based business and were very helpful with switching over from an item that is not available due to supply chain issues, to one that shipped the day I discussed it with them. Someone actually answered the phone when I called, and I didn't have to wade through this or that electronic menu option to have a conversation. I look forward to purchasing from them in the future.
After 30+ years of fat-fingering knots, I broke down and bought a Knot Needle (I had a Bass Pro gift card to spend). It has already paid for itself by allowing me to tie the easiest nail knot ever - on the first attempt. All the other knots I practiced on are so much easier than tying without the tool. It's just a good design idea and I look forward to tying blood knots and terminal knots in seconds and not minutes - getting my fly back on the water much more quickly than before. Tutorials are provided online and are very easy to follow. I assume the only drawback is that it doesn't attach to a zinger and doesn't float. I'll have to keep in in-pocket, unless I'm on dry land.
Regards, Glenn
I bought a knot kneedle because of my poor eyesite. It works great and the attachment to hold the tool works very well and has never let the tool come loose. You are correct about it not floating. I generallly move to shallow water to tie or go ashore as not to drop in the deep water. A davey knot is so quick to tie with the tool, it has become my main knot.

I bought a knot kneedle because of my poor eyesite. It works great and the attachment to hold the tool works very well and has never let the tool come loose. You are correct about it not floating. I generallly move to shallow water to tie or go ashore as not to drop in the deep water. A davey knot is so quick to tie with the tool, it has become my main knot.
(Apologies for initially misspelling the trademark Knot Kneedle.)
I started using the Davy many years ago because of it's simplicity and the tiny amount of tippet (compared to other terminal knots) that is used. My boys refuse to use it, thinking it's too simple to not break off when a fish is hooked. I haven't found that I break off any more than they do. The first season I used one, I never once broke off in a dozen outings - even when catching trout over 16". Now I need to find a tool with which I can pull 6x or 7x through the eye of a size 20 hook. I've tried the cheap needle threaders that come with sewing kits but they're too easy to lose.

Back