A Call to Action - PA Water Quality Board

Maurice

Maurice

Administrator
Staff member
Anglers - We Need Your Help.
. . . Please take action, then relay this message

DEP has proposed new Chapter 95 water regulations
The four public hearings on the regulations are over. New regulations are needed to control what’s allowed to be dumped into our streams. With the expansion of Marcellus gas drilling in Pennsylvania, we have to have strong protective measures in place before another disaster like the 2009 Dunkard Creek incident occurs.

Your only chance to comment on these important regulations is now by e-mail or USPS.

Hundreds of comments are needed in order to convince DEP to strengthen their regulations. The comment period goes through Feb 5th
Please take the time to submit your written comments to:

Environmental Quality Board
P.O. Box 8477
Harrisburg, PA 17105-8477
Or via e-mail to regcomments@state.pa.us

What’s at stake ? The quality of water in our streams. We’re still footing the bill cleaning up after the coal industry’s Acid Mine Drainage. Over 3,000 miles of PA streams are still impaired from that irresponsibility.
We need your help to make sure our drinking water is protected. There is still time to submit your comments in writing.
It’s important to let DEP, the politicians and the industry know that you think it is important to have strong standards for treatment & disposal of Marcellus wastewater.
What to say ?
Clean Water Action has listed some of the most important concerns about DEP’s Proposed Chapter 95 regulations –

Please choose the topics most important to you

What Chapter 95 should include:

· Marcellus “frackwater” must be monitored via a chain of responsibility (cradle to grave) of signed paperwork documenting the origin, use, flowback, transportation, treatment and disposal of all frackwater fluids. This monitoring must include all fluids (aqueous and air) and solids origination in the frackwater

· Our streams cannot be dumping grounds for frackwater. We must have a standard for Dissolved Solids allowed in our water. A TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) limit of 500 mg/L for TDS and 250 mg/L each for Sulfates and Chlorides is needed to meet Federal drinking water standard. DEP should not weaken their proposed discharge standard for TDS.

· The standard for Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) should be stated as a daily maximum, not a monthly average. In addition, there should be a minimum requirement that all discharges not cause background in-stream concentrations of TDS to rise above 133% of background levels (the Delaware River Basin Commission standard).

· DEP’s proposed definition of large TDS sources is good. Do not change it. That proposed regulation is a good means to prevent impairment and regulation of TDS prior to having to utilize a TMDL process. The only suggestion would be to clearly state the 2,000 mg/L concentration threshold as a daily maximum. That daily maximum should not be allowed to be circumvented by dilution.

· All large TDS sources should be covered by the standard. New sources and new discharges at existing sources should be covered immediately. Existing sources of large TDS discharges should be eventually covered through the NPDES permit renewal process. How TDS will be measured and reported by dischargers should also be clarified.

· DEP has not proposed standards for a number of contaminants that are frequently found in Marcellus wastewater. DEP should add discharge standards for bromides, arsenic, benzene, radium, magnesium and Volatile Organic Compounds. Many of these contaminants are toxic to humans and aquatic life and are very difficult for drinking water systems to remove.

· Due to the highly varying toxicity of both TDS discharges and especially Marcellus wastewater, Whole Effluent Toxicity (WET) testing should be required utilizing both an acute and chronic toxicity standard.

· We need these regulations to be in place as soon as possible to protect aquatic life and drinking water sources. DEP should stop issuing more drilling permits, which increase existing wastewater loads in Pennsylvania streams, until Chapter 95 revisions are in place. DEP should also stop allowing existing or proposed wastewater plants to discharge TDS at levels above the standards established in these Chapter 95 revisions. The effective date should not be extended to accommodate the time frame necessary for a new facility to acquire all necessary permits (such as those for air quality).

· Wastewater Reuse: DEP needs to ensure that all aspects of the generation of Marcellus wastewater are regulated. Currently there is little oversight over the reuse of Marcellus wastewater and whether in fact this is a waste disposal method as opposed to closed loop water recycling.

Please submit your comments as soon as possible to DEP – We must counteract the input by industry lobbyists. Stay at your keyboard and devote ten minutes for your “good deed of the week” for Pennsylvania’s streams.

Start with the address RegComments@state.pa.us , then copy & paste some of the important issues. Please sign your name and address and the organizations you represent.

==============================================

Many thanks to the Pennsylvania Campaign for Clean Water for their expertise in the technical aspects of these regulations. www.CleanWater.org

========================================================

**** Martin - Coordinator www.PaForestCoalition.org
The Pennsylvania Forest Coalition is a unique alliance of hunters, hikers, anglers, landowners, wildlife-watchers, paddlers, bikers, churches and conservation groups who are united in our concern for the stewardship of our public lands. Caring for what God has created
Please mention your affiliation(s)
(Hunter, Angler, Hiker, Watershed, Birdwatcher, etc)

These messages are brought to you as a public service; in compliance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed free and without profit or payment for educational purposes only.

Thanks Maurice.

As it turns out, some of these drilling outfits are now saying that far more of the fluid is going to be staying underground than they anticipated.

Amazing how that came up after fluid disposal became more problematic.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1209/30978.html

Maurice,

Do you have this in link form? I send most information like this via IM, etc.

I guess I could link to this page, but I'd prefer a non-paff bookmark. I have hundreds of threads bookmarked, and it would just fall off the radar.

Its from an email list I am on for the Forest Coalition.

http://www.paforestcoalition.org/

Nut I don't see this announcement anywhere on their site.....just in the email format.

No worries. I've emailed it to myself, so I will have it saved there. Thanks for checking.

Iam so doing this

Thanks for the info Mo........will do........after being able to observe a drilling operation in person , while the gang we watched and talked to was doing a great job in containing and recycling water/fluid from their operation (on Little Paint creek , Somerset county , above Windber Pa) it was easy to see where the possibility for disaster exists. It wouldn't take much for things to either be neglected or go wrong from a weather incident. My own opinion is "This can be done with the right controls in place and enforced and adheerd to" The info you have provided us with gives us our chance to sure things up and prevent a disaster before it occurs. THANKS MO.

Thanks Mo, I just sent mine in.

Maurice why not post this on the main board too? Or better yet, ask Dave to make it the opening blog? I received it tonight from Bill Heffner and forwarded it to about 20 people but we need to reach far more than that.

Rolf

I sent mine in, and encouraged my camp neighbors to do the same. Thanks for posting this.

Back