A Big Year

This thread has become very sad to me. Who knew there was this many people depressed over their lives. When has working, creating a home and possibly raising a family become sad and burdensome to the point where living every day in the moment for an extended period is a better option? Sounds poetic, adventurous and sexy but will something as superficial as traveling to the Grand Canyon, Scotland, or wherever really bring lifetime happiness? sounds like a precursor to more and bigger feelings of death, despair and sadness. Looking back, my family, my home, my career, and my community brought me far more joy than the meaningless trout or trips to the Eiffel Tower, Vegas, or wherever. To those who seek alternatives to the American dream, I wish you well and hope you find your pot of gold but often time, you can’t see the rainbow through the clouds.

This thread has become very sad to me. Who knew there was this many people depressed over their lives. When has working, creating a home and possibly raising a family become sad and burdensome to the point where living every day in the moment for an extended period is a better option? Sounds poetic, adventurous and sexy but will something as superficial as traveling to the Grand Canyon, Scotland, or wherever really bring lifetime happiness? sounds like a precursor to more and bigger feelings of death, despair and sadness. Looking back, my family, my home, my career, and my community brought me far more joy than the meaningless trout or trips to the Eiffel Tower, Vegas, or wherever. To those who seek alternatives to the American dream, I wish you well and hope you find your pot of gold but often time, you can’t see the rainbow through the clouds.
Not sure how people "living life" is sad? In my eyes your "American Dream" is pretty boring and I totally would live with regret if that's all I had to look back on. To each is own. No offense.

The American Dream is what you want it to be. It shouldn't be written in stone and followed straight through.

Not everyone needs a house and family to be happy. I never wanted kids or a house because I always wanted the freedom to live life. I'm 49 and finally bought a house 7 years ago. Guess what? I was happier without it. I'm happy I have it and all and don't regret it, but it has caused a lot of stress and other bullshit that I didn't have before. As I said, overall I was happier without it. So, if that is happiness to you more power to you. It's just not for everyone.

I've worked hard my whole life, but also tried to do everything possible to see the country and fish as much as I can. That is what makes me happy. That is what will make me smile when I'm laying on my death bed. Not all those "happy" times stressing over the BS of life such as work and bills. So, I'm doing as much as I can knowing I can currently do it.

Yea, I don't view this as either or (adventures vs. family/friends). I think it's all part of living one awesome holistic life.

In fact, for me generally, experiences and adventures give me a greater perspective and appreciation for family and friends.

since my post #4 seems to have ignited your ire (post #6) I'll bite. What makes you perceive that the majority of the posters in this thread are depressed over their lives??? Is it cause we expressed ourselves in a manor that didn't conform with your ideal of how life should be lived? I've worked hard throughout my life, have a family that I spend a lot of time with, including traveling. I have a house. A career I built from scratch, through will and effort without any connections. On track for a comfortable retirement. BUT why shouldn't I enjoy myself in the interim, I fish every chance I get, even in the evenings after work (what's so indulgent with sneaking in an hour or so on-stream after a 10 hr work day?). I get jacked up to fish, bottom line. I do the same about hanging out with the family or watching sports or seeing a concert or reading a good book. Life is ours, we live it our way.
You're only on this earth for a short time so it might as well be for a good time too!

I have no ire at all, I have no idea what your previuos post was and I’m not looking for any bites or arguments. Why do some always jump to that? I simply point out that appreciating what you have is more important then wanting something you don’t have. I wake up every morning look outside and say, what a great morning. never have I said, I bet this morning is way better in Wyoming, Colorado, Florida or where ever. I am simply suggesting that maybe, just maybe, Camelot is right in front of your face but you just don’t realize it. I’ve travelled a bit over a few different continents and you know what I remember most in life? Yep, getting my drivers license, graduating High school, getting married, having kids, my kids walking, riding bikes, catching fish, getting their drivers licenses, graduating, gettting married etc, etc, etc………. There is nothing better in this world then that. The sunset out my kitchen window is better then any other place in this world, to me. I hope that others can feel the same and they can.

Im sorry but a lot of what has been said defines depression. you may be mistaking that as a mental illness which I’m sure it is but I’m using the term as nothing more than a simple feeling. sorry if I raised your ire. Life is grand, enjoy what you have.

Hmm, Hello all out there, Life is awesome! And I truly love mine. While I was never fortunate to of had any children I've been blessed with wonderful parents when I was growing up who taught me all the good things parents do to give their children a chance to be successful. In 1987 I met the woman who would become my wonderful & amazing wife. I was already 44 years old and had fished as much as most anyone of my means could fish. Months at a time in Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho. Got my stripes on the Delaware system before most guys knew it held trout. Had a great working career having never graduated college yet wound up mid level management position in a Fortune 100 company. I, like many of us, had some serious setbacks. Divorce, cancer survivor, multiple surgeries. Yet through it all I've always felt blessed to have had people in my life who cared for me and I could return those feelings. I'm 79 now and have not fished very much at all in 2022 due to severe and chronic hip pain. But I'm looking forward to surgery soon for a new hip and great experiences with family & friends in the years to come.

Back