9' 4 weight or 5 weight?

RainheadSteelbow wrote:
salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Over lining can be done and will allow you to punch more line out.

Personally when i owned a 4 wt i underlined it. I wanted a softer and more sensitive feel. I dont do this with my 3 wt.

Wouldn't underlining a rod make it stiffer? As in you are not loading it as much?

Dear Rainhead,

That's how Lefty Kreh and Bob Clouser explained it to me when I talked to them about it.

They said that underlining a rod, especially when fishing in the salt or in wind can often be a trip saver because the lighter line presents less of a profile and it allows you to speed up the casting action of the rod to contend with distance or wind.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Also helps you with properly loading the rod when you have more than 30' of line in the air.

Yes it makes the rod stiffer. But i use a superfine, when i talked about underlining it to get more sensitivity, i was referencing my hand on the line. I dont use strike indicators and the added sensitivity to THE LINE allows me to feel the fish take easier :)

Ok well you guys got me. Ill go with a 5 weight but Im gonna get what i pay for so Ill go with the best I can before I feel bad about spending to much money. So far I was suggested the Sage launch any other suggestions?

Im going to be putting some of my older rods up for sale to pay for this one.

Edit, I read some reviews on the Sage launch and it seems lik3 a ok rod. Another one i was looking at was Albright's A-5, I don't think i remember them saying what kind of action they have. But i do know the a-5 is lighter in weight then the Launch.

Dear jon,

Like another one of the poster's said, if you are not adverse to buying a used rod you may be able to get a lot of rod for very little money by looking around e-bay or even checking some fly shops for used rods.

I have a 9' 4 piece St. Croix Legend Ultra. I like the rod a great deal. It is not a super fast rod like an XP or GLX but it suits me just fine. As I recall they retailed for around $ 310.00. You should be able to find a nice used one for half that or less if you look around.

I can suggest a couple of places to look if you are interested in buying something used. Send me a PM and I'll send the websites to you.

Regards,

Depending on how involved you'd like to get, you could consider building a rod.

I wanted a decent high end rod, and ended up building a loomis gl3. I love it dearly.

Edit, I read some reviews on the Sage launch and it seems lik3 a ok rod. Another one i was looking at was Albright's A-5, I don't think i remember them saying what kind of action they have. But i do know the a-5 is lighter in weight then the Launch.
~Jon

I own the Launch. My usual fishing buddy has an A-5

both rods are really nice.

The A-5 definately a faster stiffer rod also a bit heavier than my launch. Depending on what you suits you better. You wont get to test cast an A-5 I believe. They are a simlar feel to a TFO if you ask me. Maybe try casting a TFO somewhere.

I love my Sage.

They are on closeout right now. really search and you can find a real good deal.

In 5 weight TFO makes 6 different rods and each has a different action and feel. In 5 weight for trout my preference would be Finesse, Professional and Signature. Here's the rods they offer and my opinion of each:

The Finesse has the most traditional action (medium to medium-fast action - about $180).

The Professional is next (medium-fast to fast - about $140)

The Signature is a fast action rod (also the cheapest - about $110)

The TiCr is really a 6.5-7 weight rod (around $200).

The TiCrx borders on being a broomstick (around $225).

The Axiom is a broomstick (unsure of price but it could probably land a 12lb bluefish).

Millertime wrote:

I own the Launch. My usual fishing buddy has an A-5

both rods are really nice.

The A-5 definately a faster stiffer rod also a bit heavier than my launch. Depending on what you suits you better. You wont get to test cast an A-5 I believe. They are a simlar feel to a TFO if you ask me. Maybe try casting a TFO somewhere.

I love my Sage.

They are on closeout right now. really search and you can find a real good deal.

On the websites I visited the a-5 weights 3.1 oz. and the launch is 3.5oz. are they wrong?

TimMurphy wrote:
Dear jon,

Like another one of the poster's said, if you are not adverse to buying a used rod you may be able to get a lot of rod for very little money by looking around e-bay or even checking some fly shops for used rods.

I have a 9' 4 piece St. Croix Legend Ultra. I like the rod a great deal. It is not a super fast rod like an XP or GLX but it suits me just fine. As I recall they retailed for around $ 310.00. You should be able to find a nice used one for half that or less if you look around.

I can suggest a couple of places to look if you are interested in buying something used. Send me a PM and I'll send the websites to you.

Regards,

If I were to search ebay what would be a some good rods to look into?

Id also gladly take those websites you offered, I appreciate all the help from every one here.

Dear Jon,

I sent you a PM with several places to check out in search of a used rod.

I don't know you so I have no idea what your preferences are in a rod so I'm reluctant to make any recommendations. If I was looking for myself I wouldn't hesitate to check out Sage RPL's and St. Croix Legend Ultra's in 9' 5 weights. I definitely prefer a 4 piece rod but you might think otherwise?

If you ever get around Harrisburg to fish look me up and I'll bring along a couple of rods for you to cast so you can an idea about the rods I am talking about.

Regards,

Thank you good sir.

I always go for at least a 4pc.

Back