8'6" vs. 9' 5 weights...

You are correct on the shootout results changing. One thing that didn't change was the rave reviews and reasonable price point for the St Croix Legend Elite. It's still a fast rod but much, much different than the S4. What part of the state do you live in? I've got gear from slow graphite of the 80's up to the newer stuff. You are welcome to demo and see which you like the feel of / matches your casting best.

I am in NEPA...between Wallenpaupack and Scranton.

I have heard/read great things about the Legend Elite series...how new is yours?

Mine are new...nano technology, arc technology, blah, blah. I'll be at the Delaware and/or Lackawanna in 2nd week July.

To quote Dennis Skarka..... "in the water".

I have no idea but that's probably a good place to start.

Never fished that sewer but expect NickR or Becker to guide me.....and I don't tip. :)

Big-Bass wrote:
For some reason, I have a hard time putting 6 weight line on a 5 to justify slowing it down. The S4 is amazing, but I think something a little slower would/could also benefit me. I don't want to just burn through money but rather keep it on a ...
Don't have a hard time with it, big-bass. It has been been done forever, and increases each rods practicality. That being said, i love buying new gear as a collector as well, but truth told, I use my 8.5' Orvis 5 weight (full flex) more than anything else, and often use a 4 weight on it, too. Try it, i bet you'll like it. (And buy another setup just because!)
Mike B

So is there a reason to get an 865 anymore? It seems like so many prefer longer rods...what would an 865 provide me over a 905?

Just my opinion. On big water, no.

I suppose the trade off is generally, all else (action and modulus) being equal, the longer the rod, the heavier the rod. Get too long and you start to get a sore arm holding it up all the time, not to mention it can start to demand new mechanics to cast correctly.

Still, my primary problem on bigger water remains mending/distance. I actually fish a 10.5 footer. And heck, the spey guys attack big water with 16 footers and the like.

That said, is there a place for shorter rods? Of course! Smaller water. When "Lehigh" becomes "Little Lehigh", an 8 or 8.5 footer is fine, perhaps preferable. And that's medium sized water. I use a 7.5 footer on a lot of brookie streams, and on few of the gnarliest, I'd prefer a 6 footer!

with rod technology these days a 5wt is for belting out light streamers or a simple indicator rig 40-55ft or so.

to make one 8'6" no longer makes sense to me.

what you could do on a 865 before can pretty much be done on an 903 or 904.

if you need a short rod for tight corners and a close approach - its a 703 or 763.

tbh if i was restricted to just three trouts rods ( :-D ) i'd choose :

I'm just kinda curious, that after a year and a half, which rod did BigBass actually blow his wad on?

You could even use a 10 Ft. I don't think that you really need a 6 weight for trout, unless you need it for wind, a 5 weight will be fine 99% of the time.
I have an 8'6" rod I almost never use, in fact it's a very goo rod, but by the time I get to big enough water to use it, I'm usually using a 9 foot rod. Even on that big water I prefer a 4 weight if it's not windy, because the 4 weight I use is more like most rod companies 5 weights. It's an IMX.

tomitrout wrote:
I'm just kinda curious, that after a year and a half, which rod did BigBass actually blow his wad on?
So sorry, I hadn't realized that I pulled up a necro-thread with my response.
Apologies.
Mike B

Back