8 or 9 weight

T

Takem

I bought a cabelas rls 8 weight combo. Handle came loose after a few casts so I'm returning it. Probably get another brand. While I have the chance should I go up to a 9 weight? I'll be taking this rod to South Carolina for reds and trout, fishing the surf in nj in the fall for stripers and blues, shad run on the Susquehanna in spring and carp fishing. I know it's a bit much for carp since they spook so easy but I do know some areas with 20-30 lbers. Curious as to your opinions.

back bays in SC or surf?
if back bays both reds and trout will take smaller flies than you would use for big browns.However if you expect to target big inlet reds and get lucky and catch some you might want a 10 wt. or they will clean you.
The seatrout are weenies compared to reds but than so are stripers.
Get into big blues hold on.
sounds like two rods to me
8 and 10.or maybe 7 and 10. 20 pound carp no problem for 7 wt.caught they on the Missouri on streamers when fishing too early in the fall.
good luck.

Agreed^ 7wt & 10wt would be ideal.

If I were to buy just one rod, I would make it a 9wt.

Try to test cast some rods before you choose.

While multiple rods would certainly fit your fishing better, I'm going to disagree with the consensus and recommend an 8-wt. A quality 8-wt is going to be able to handle all of the fish you're after.

You won't be able to cast really big flies for stripers, but short of that, you'll have more fun with a lighter, more versatile rod. I *rarely* fish my 9-wt and I have many 8-wts that all see time on the water.

9 wt. is a better choice for beach and jettys, a 7 0r 6 wt. for shad and carp, and a 8 wt. is the best for back bay fish. not one rod can do it all.

Yeah, tough call. You're looking at a very wide range of applications.

I think, generally speaking, it is better to be over-gunned than under-gunned. I'd rather take a 9WT out for carp and back bays than to try to hit the autumn surf with an 8WT. It's just better to be able to wrench in a fish. . . than to get smoked because you've got too little fly rod.

If this is going to be your biggest fly rod for awhile. . .my default vote would be for the 9WT.

Back