70 lb. striper

sandfly

sandfly

there is hope yet, maybe the Delaware next
http://www.onthewater.com/world-record-70-pound-freshwater-striper/

That fish is fat at 70 lbs with a 38" girth. The article says if it wasn't landlocked, a striper 45.5" long would weigh 35 - 45 lbs.

record-striped-bass-photo-credit-AL.com-Joe-Songer-in-all-uses-in-perpetuity-640x1200.jpg

ummm. i think that article is from 2013??

Wow.
Caught from the Black Warrior River in AL.

The girth is indeed impressive. I think, if you look at landlocked stripers they do tend to be fatter. Look at pics of stripers from Raystown and compare 'em to those you typically see from the salt. Very noticeable difference. Perhaps this is because the freshwater fish have better forage and don't have to migrate hundreds of miles every year(?).

Also don't have to be as fast due to even larger predators.;-)

Shame we've overfished them. My grandfather used to catch these by the boatload nearly every day on the Chesapeake. I have pictures of their boat at the docks with many fish like that one hanging off the gunwales, showing off their daily catch.

By the way, they are the best eating fish you'll ever have.

It used to be that you were called a man by the number of fish you caught. When there was no regulation on catching. I remember 8mm movie pictures of my dad in them where there were over 30 fish on a stringer.

That saying should be changed to a more modern phrase like: "You will be known by the number of fish you release."

duckfoot wrote:

Flounder (fluke) > striper for eating. IMHO

February is one of the best month to catch Stripers in the South. They use trout for bait as many of them inhabit the same waters and feed on stocked trout.
As far as eating I'd put a grouper up against anything that swims,PERIOD.GG

That's one very strong man....

I think it's hoisted up and he is standing next to it. There is no strain look on his face.

You can see the Gill Blast Stringer Rope threw the lip #Spotburn

I see that now. I initial saw that partial object as some kind of bocagrip type of thing.

Flounder and grouper are great eating but for freshwater fish I am partial to walleye.

DE,I agree on the walleye as the best in freshwater,little brookies are good on aplate as well. Bracing for the pc correct outfall.GG

ebroesicke wrote:
duckfoot wrote:

Winter flounder >> Fluke.

Never had striped bass.

DEPete53 wrote:
Flounder and grouper are great eating but for freshwater fish I am partial to walleye.

I'd put yellow perch ever so slightly ahead of walleye. But both are very good eating. Walleye might be a little bit more versatile though.

Yellow perch are little harder to clean, but easier to catch.

Bluegill and crappie are also excellent table fare, especially if caught in winter through the ice or while the water is still cold in the Spring.

Filet them, Dip filets in flour, then egg, then crushed cracker crumbs (Ritz, Townhouse, or something similar) and deep fry. It doesn't get much better.

They even make a nice Po Boy sandwich.

I gotta do that more this year. Besides, they're free.;-)

gulfgreyhound wrote:
DE,I agree on the walleye as the best in freshwater,little brookies are good on aplate as well. Bracing for the pc correct outfall.GG

Don't worry about it. Using plates is quite PC.

ebroesicke wrote:
Flounder's good, but they're more of a PITA then they're worth. Always in your nets. We usually stack them in a five gallon bucket and let the kids let them go at the dock.

Nothing beats good rockfish. Except maybe about 50 croakers, or blues.

Back