7 foot 4 wt or 7 foot 6 inch 3 wt?

C

crs2006

Fishing anything from Penn's to smaller water

I have a 6 foot 2 and a 9 foot 5 already

What say you? What are the pros and cons of each length?

Longer is generally easier mending. Try both and see which one you like better.

I’d say neither are ideal for Penns, but both are perfectly fine for small streams and for the most part you won’t notice much difference in them in that application. For Penns and other big water you really need a longer rod…8’6 or longer probably. You ideally need two different rods for those two different types of fishing.

If you were trying to get away with one rod to do it all as a compromise I’d recommend something in the 8’0 4/5 wt range, understanding that you’ll probably want something longer on big streams, and shorter on small streams.

7 1/2 ft 4 wt.

With the 9 ft 5 wt, you have everything covered from big streams down to medium streams like Slate and Cedar and Young Womans Cr.

With the 7 1/2 ft 4 wt you can fish everything smaller than that.

Yeah its not going to be a "do everything"

I'm just kind of looking for a happy medium between my short 2 and long 5

Im just wondering, do I sacrifice some backbone for a little better line/drift control or go with more backbone and greater accuracy at short range.

Just seeing what y'all prefer

backbone.

I've never been sold on soft rods being better for line/drift control anyway. And in this size range it's gonna be a small stream tool, where tight loops to cast under stuff is vitally important.

I like broomsticks for small water. Softer rods can be nice for big water.

crs2006 wrote:
What are the pros and cons of each length?

7' 4wt pros:
Will fit under more stuff on small streams.
The 4wt line has the mass needed to punch casts into small windows more often than the 3wt.

7' 4wt cons:
Shorter rods are generally harder to cast than longer rods.
Shorter rods do not mend or perform other line control tactics as well as longer rods.

7' 6" 3wt pros:
In general a fish will bend this rod more than the other.
Longer rods are generally easier to cast than shorter rods.
Longer rods mend or perform other line control tactics betterl than shorter rods.
Makes a great panfish rod.

7' 6" 3wt cons:
Will fit under less stuff on small streams.
The 3wt line has the mass needed to punch casts into small windows less often than the 4wt.
Being only 6" longer, the 3wt will likely not be able to comfortably throw heavy or bulky flies as well.

Thanks for the input guys

Im leaning towards the 7 ft 4

Seems like it bridges the gaps in application between my short 2 and long 5

I would lean towards the 4 wt also but I recommend adding an additional 6" to the 7'.

If I had to choose one of those for everything I'd take the 4wt. However, neither would be my first choice, or even my second choice, or even my third choice for fishing Penn's.

I've had a lot of fun fishing Penns with a 7'/4wt, especially when flows come down in the summer and you're fishing it more like a small stream...work on your reaches and curve casts and mending becomes less of an issue.

And I'd choose a 4wt over the 3wt in either length, I find 3wts feel closer to the 2 than a 4 does to the 5...

I have the same cortland rod in a 7' 4wt and 7'6" 4wt and use both to fish small streams. 90% of the time I prefer the 7'6" 4wt. I only take the 7' 4wt if I plan to fish dries only.

Shop around, get a deal and buy both. :)

tomitrout wrote:
I've had a lot of fun fishing Penns with a 7'/4wt, especially when flows come down in the summer and you're fishing it more like a small stream...work on your reaches and curve casts and mending becomes less of an issue.

If I was fairly certain I was going to be in a dry fly situation, I would indeed bring out the shorter light line rods on bigger water. However, day in and day out, I want a longer rod if I expect at least a fair amount of nymph fishing. It's just more productive to match your equipment to how you will be fishing. The extra reach of a 9' rod is indispensable IMO, even if it is still a 4wt or even a 3wt.

With all that said, 7' and 7' 6" 4wts are fantastic small stream rods and they see a lot of action when i hit smaller water.

Kev

pcray1231 wrote:
backbone.

I've never been sold on soft rods being better for line/drift control anyway. And in this size range it's gonna be a small stream tool, where tight loops to cast under stuff is vitally important.

I like broomsticks for small water. Softer rods can be nice for big water.

Vitally important if you don't know how to drive tight loops with a soft rod at short distances.

they are so close in performance I really don't think the average caster will notice that big of a difference. go for either one..

Back