6wt line on 5wt rod ok?

bassfever

bassfever

My 5wt reel broke, a Cabelas Prestige Plus 2. I was using 5wt line.

So, because I'd like to use slightly heavier flies for bass, I'm thinking of using 6wt line on my 5wt rod, (after I get a new 5/6 reel).

Think this will be ok?

I do have a 7wt rod, but it's a lot heavier, which I don't like as much

Yes... It's a fairly common practice to over line, especially when fishing shorter distances. The only thing I would warn against, since you are talking about bass fishing, would be to not over stress the rod with big heavy flies and overlining with casting long distances. If your rod is struggling, you can usually feel the stress when casting.

If you're looking to target bass, that 7WT would be much better.

However with that said, as David pointed out, you can certainly put a 6 line on a 5 WT rod.

I have a 6wt line on my everyday 5wt trout rod.

As mentioned before, it helps with shorter distances.

I would use the 6wt line on the 7wt rod for bass. On the longer cast, that line would work considerably better on the 7wt.

Got a new Cabelas Prestige PLuus 2 today, loaded with 6wt.
Trying that reel again because the spool from my old reel fits- its loaded with 5wt.

Will try it out this week..

Going on vacation to NY finger lakes- Lake Keuka.

I don't put much faith on the line wt written on a fly rod.

"Written on the rod blank or handle is a code number which indicates the line that the rod manufacturer suggests is best for most customers; i.e., 6 line. To most fly anglers, this means that they should use nothing but a 6 weight line with this rod. But to get the full potential from different fishing situations, you may want to consider using several line sizes on your rod — perhaps varying as much as two line sizes from the one suggested on the rod."

How To Choose the Right Fly Line Weight, by Lefty Kreh

Was told to over-line my 7'9 when I was looking for another rod a few years back and have been very happy with it. Recently did it for my 6'2 and all good!

Back