6 weight rods - what do they do best?

My 6 wt gets as much time on the water as my 5wt, and when in doubt I bring the 6 wt. I've caught fish on midges and tricos with the 6 wt. I can't imagine fishing a stream like the J with a light rod.

I don't get the fascination with light rods. But as my user name indicates, I like throwing heavy multi-nymph rigs and longline most of the time. Can't do that with a 4wt without a lot of false casting and slapping the water behind me. More false casts or pulling in line for the pickup means my flies are out of the water longer

Once when i was considering a light rod for small dries, and a guy told me I should learn to cast. Harsh, but I see his point now (not meaning to imply anyone who uses light rods can't cast, please don't be offended. Just sharing my story).

nymphingmaniac, your right, a good caster can be just as delicate with a 6 wt as a 2 wt.
lots of folks don't understand, fly size, leader/tippet size/rod wt are all related. of course, we're not gonna carry a quiver of rods on the stream with us to match every situation, so we pick the one that we think will be the best compromise and the one we enjoy using.
I enjoy my 6wts, I also enjoy the little 3wt glass I built this past winter. there are a few creeks where it's the perfect rod, but I know it's limitations. it's not going to be very good at casting long distances or a big dry/dropper combo. split shot are out, as are most streamers, although I have cast some little buggers, but it didn't like it.
a 6wt in the same length will do everything the 3 wt does, plus almost everything else I want it to do.
if people feel that a 6wt fast action graphite is too much rod, maybe too stiff feeling, try a boo or glass 6wt before you write them off. a softer flexing 6wt is one great fishing tool. and remember, softer flexing does not always mean less powerful, just takes a different(slower) casting action to get it working as it should.

bikerfish wrote:
...of course, we're not gonna carry a quiver of rods on the stream with us to match every situation...

Do they make fly rod quivers?
hmmmm
I might have to get me one of them...

WildTigerTrout wrote:
All flyrods are toys no matter what line weight they are designed to cast! I love my ultralight rods and never considered them any less capable than my heavier flyrods. The light rods are just designed for a more narrow range of situations and at that they excel.

Capability in fewer situations = less capable. To each his own, but I wanted to point that out. A three weight is less capable than a 5wt, across the board.

I, personally, have yet to encounter a situation where the 3wt provided much of an advantage. I guess there are certain presentation situations where it would be nice, but overall, a 5wt can capably do 99.99% of the three weight duties just as well imo.

jayL wrote:
I, personally, have yet to encounter a situation where the 3wt provided much of an advantage. I guess there are certain presentation situations where it would be nice, but overall, a 5wt can capably do 99.99% of the three weight duties just as well imo.

Technically speaking, there's not a thing I can't do with a 3wt I can't do with a 5wt, however, its just not as much fun.

Lighter rods are more willowly, flexy and provide more enjoyment. They also do not require I compromise on tippet strength (if anything, I can probably horse 'em in harder).

From a technical standpoint, you're 100% correct. From an amusment angle, it doesn't matter coz you're you and I'm me and that dude's got his own opinion that we both think is wrong.

That said, I never use my 6wt rod. The fast action 5 covers its duties with aplomb.

I couldn't live without my 6 wt. It's my main streamer and night fishing rod and my favorite nymphing rod on certain smallish streams with a lot of overhead cover. I have never used it for brook trout, however, and I don't plan to. You don't need a six weight to throw a dry fly 25 ft, I don't care how "bushy" it is.

I know that few guys would select a rod for this reason, but having the right rod makes a much bigger difference to night fishing than it does for fishing during the day, IMO. The rod has to be able to handle the stress of casting big flies, but also must have a sufficiently sensitive tip that you can feel what is happening to your flies in the water (since you can't see). Most rods are either too stiff to detect the movement of flies or not stout enough to handle the repetitive stress of casting them. Rod makers don't design rods with night fishing in mind, so its hard to find an acceptable rod.

IMO, it all depends if you are an odd (1,3,5,7 and 9 wt) or even (2,4,6 or 8 wt.) user. I like the 5 weight for an all round rod, but a 6 weight is just a versatile.

I have caught plenty of trout on my 6wt. I use it in Erie for Steelhead during the winter and never had any problems. Once I used it in NY for salmon when my 8wt broke and was able to handle salmon though I would definitely not recommend that at all. I think the 6wt is very versatile. If you can get a good deal on one why not grab it.

I have a 6 wt Orvis Access Salt Water that is a fantastic carp and small mouth bass rod!

You can't go wrong with a 6 wgt. rod. My Fenwick FF806 is a great all around rod, Has the backbone to throw heavy streamers and finesse to drop a dry where I want it.

Attachments

• IMG_1400.jpg
    IMG_1400.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 5
Back