6 weight rods - what do they do best?

volcanomil

volcanomil

I regularly watch the classified sections of a few forum sites along with internet sites like EBay and it seems, as far as fly rod weight, the 6wt shows up more than others. I am just wondering why this is? You can usually pick up a top model/company in outstanding condition on the cheap, when compared to the other weights. I usually see the 5wts havethe highest resale value, followed by the 4wt, 8wt, and maybe the 7wt, but I usually do not see too many 7wt on the market.

I am trying to figure out if I need a 6 wt in the line-up. I have a 4wt, 5wt, and 8wt. The 6 seems too heavy for almost all trout fishing (at least on the East Coast), too light for most largemouth bass or steelhead fishing. I am thinking maybe smallmouths on the river, but I cannot seem to think a 6wt will handle the heavy flies better than my 8wt.

I enjoy reading about what equipment others use and enjoy, so all the 6wt fans out there, let me know why you like the weight.

not that long ago, a 6 wt was THE trout weight rod. now the trend is towards lighter and lighter line wts. a 6 wgt is still a very versatile tool, good for throwing streamers, as well as smaller poppers for bass. some folks find a shorter 6wt the ideal brookie stream rod, able to throw the big bushy flies that brookies love.
also a good choice in longer lengths for windy conditions, a little more oomph to punch that fly through the wind.

I split my time between my 6wt and my 4wt when the water gets a little thinner. If you find a deal, grab it. Heck, I've even landed a steelhead on mine last year.

bikerfish wrote:
not that long ago, a 6 wt was THE trout weight rod. now the trend is towards lighter and lighter line wts. a 6 wgt is still a very versatile tool, good for throwing streamers, as well as smaller poppers for bass. some folks find a shorter 6wt the ideal brookie stream rod, able to throw the big bushy flies that brookies love.
also a good choice in longer lengths for windy conditions, a little more oomph to punch that fly through the wind.
I agree bikerfish. I like my six weight for streamers and windy conditions. The key word is "Versatile". That about says it all.

The 6, throws streamers, heavilty weighted flies, fishes bigger waters and fights bigger trout the best.

However, I have also fished me for dry flys and medium sized water and also landed steelhead on my 6 and it worked fine.

I also agree with excellent versatility.

i just picked up a new 6 weight as my "crossover" rod. ive used it for some heavy streamers....and im pumped to use it sight fishing for bones with beadchain flies when i get home in three weeks! very pumped about it

In the last of 2 weeks of march , I caught steelhead in a small stream in NY on a stonefly nymph, then caught brown trout at letort on a size 16 bwo, all using the same rig which was a 8'6" 6wt rod, 5/6 reel, wf6f line. Neither situation was really ideal for the rod, but neither situation was uncomfortable either. The rod was a scott g 856/2, really nice rod.

What do they do best.... A little bit of everything!

I am a hardcore 6 wt. supporter. Upon fishing with someone knew, unless we are fishing native/wild streams, I'm fishing a rx8 6 wt for leftover steel or trout.

It enables me to punch through wind, throw longer tippets, fight fish faster... and yet I can still throw 22's.

Catch fish. Its probably the most sold because the trends are so extreme right now. One side is dudes with 1,2,3 wts I guess trying to get "tactical". And the other side is the sex panther,zoo donkey articulated streamer throwin, kelly galloup worshipping, bank pounders using 7,8 wts.

4- 5wts are pretty popular because they make sense. And the 6 wt is the middle child who gets no love.

I think a longer (9') 6 wgt. rod is the optimal tool for a number of settings common to PA waters. It is the only rod I use to fish for steelhead in the Wisconsin tribs of Lake Michigan and the only rod I ever used to fish for steelhead in the PA tribs back home. I also use it exclusively for smallmouth in streams that average say 100' wide or less, large creeks and small rivers. The bigger river smallie guys here will tell you a 7 or 8 is better for those applications and I tend to agree with that. But I do very little truly big river bassin'.

For both smallmouth and steelhead, I usually over line it with a WF7 to help with larger heavier flies. And it performs well when over lined in this way. Its an older Diamondback Americana Series rod and has a moderate to slow action.

Then when we go out west, I put a 6 wgt line on it and use it to fish the big Deschutes (below Pelton Dam). And it is a very satisfactory tool for that Same if I go up to northcentral Wisconsin and fish the Wolf for trout, although I seldom do this. The Wolf is a much better trout stream to read about than it is to fish..

Some guys (mostly older school types) swear by The Gospel According to Humphreys and believe a short 6 wgt. to be the tool of choice for punching line on small brush or rhododendron-clogged brook trout streams. But good luck finding a 6 wgt. in these shorter lengths (usually 6 to 7 1/2 feet).

I think a good 6 wgt., especially a longer one, is a worthwhile addition to anybody's rod rack. As a "bridge" weight of sorts, it may not have any more specifically perfect applications than any other line weight. But its positioning pretty much in the center of the line weight classes makes it a very versatile rod to own.

I have five six weights ,three are Lamiglas 10' ers i use up on the Great Lakes Tributaries for Lake Run Browns and Steelhead , a Redington 11' 6/7 weight i also use up on the tribs,The last 6 weight i own is a 9' 5piece Winston LT that was Built by Russ Gooding when he was still in Washington State that was also used once up on the tribs.All five are also used for Smallies on the Delaware and Susquehanna rivers too, i even use five weights and have no porblems.
Aside from those uses the 6 weight rod is just a dust collector,maybe only place i'd use one for trout is on the Upper Delaware River and then it would be a GLoomis GLX 10' 6 weight hands down.I have seen it in action pulling one rainbow after another one afternoon with a good breeze above Callicoon fishing a Baetis hatch to a pod of Rainbows and every fish was 15 inches and way better.it was unbelieveable,wouldn't have believed it if i hadn't seen it with my own eyes.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
P.S. IMHO with how great the graphite is now a six weight is really redundant except for above mentioned situations.

6wt with fighting butt is an awesome bahamas bonefish rod

RLeep2 wrote:
Some guys (mostly older school types) swear by The Gospel According to Humphreys and believe a short 6 wgt. to be the tool of choice for punching line on small brush or rhododendron-clogged brook trout streams. But good luck finding a 6 wgt. in these shorter lengths (usually 6 to 7 1/2 feet).

Well I guess that makes me "old school" then. Back in the early 80's I purchased a 7 1/2 foot 5/6 wt rod and spooled it up with 6 wt and it is still my favorite rod to fish smaller streams with. I also read Joe's book and think he has something there. Works for me anyway.

>think he (Joe) has something there.>

I think so too, although I've yet to find a place where I couldn't punch and place to my satisfaction in these situations with a 5 wgt.

But I'm a believer in heavier rods like this (and I guess a 5 is now considered on the "heavy" side of the dividing line) for small stream work.

I owned one 7' 3 wgt. for one season and sold it immediately afterwards. It might suit somebody else, but it wasn't for me..

Rick Wallace,

You know to how to talk, but I don't buy half of it... you do know fly fishing is a subjective sport, eh?

RLeep2 wrote:

I owned one 7' 3 wgt. for one season and sold it immediately afterwards. It might suit somebody else, but it wasn't for me..

I own a 7' 3wt and feel the exact same way. I love the rod because of its sentimental value, and that's why I still fish it. At no time is it ever the optimal choice.

I like to bring it out for sulphurs, terrestrials, or tricos now and then, but the 5wt does that just as well, even in optimal 3wt conditions.

IMO, there's never a justifiable need for anything less than a 4wt in PA. 3wts are toys. Fun toys, but toys nonetheless.

stevehalupka wrote:
you do know fly fishing is a subjective sport, eh?

Do you have the data to support that?
:)

Steve,
sorry if i stepped on your toes,but thats just my experience with things remember this is a forum of sharing ideas...and just so you know i can talk the talk and walk the walk,big deal i enjoy flytying and flyfishing im not here to compete, but i have gained a considerable amount of experience doing this the thing that i thoroughly enjoy.I have also met alot of great people who also enjoy this sport ,and try to share my info so they don't make same mistakes when i was a younger angler and way more impulsive.
Cheers to you
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

All flyrods are toys no matter what line weight they are designed to cast! I love my ultralight rods and never considered them any less capable than my heavier flyrods. The light rods are just designed for a more narrow range of situations and at that they excel.

Back