6 Foot 5 WT Cabelas "Tight Quarter" Rod

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

What I didn't tell you guys on my Chest Pack thread is that I also bought this 6 foot fly rod and reel at Cabelas to fish those small overgrown "native" streams because I want to become purists like the rest of you. My brother and sister bought me a $250 sport watch from Cabelas for my 60th BD. I asked them if I could exchange it as the watch below is just fine. And I used the $250 for the rod and reel and half the cost of the chest pack. Good deal don't you think?

Attachments

• rod reel resized.jpg
    rod reel resized.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Timex Resized.jpg
    Timex Resized.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 13
Other then the fact, that you got a 5 wt to fish what I am considering a small brookie kinda stream :-/. If thats the kinda stream you are planning on fishing, I would say 3wt and smaller.

ditto

I'd say a good deal was had.

In my opinion, a short 4 or 5 weight is better for small brushy streams. 3Wt and smaller fly rods, IMHO, are novelties and suitable for very specific applications like certain midge or trico fishing scenarios. You want a bigger gun for mountain brookies where you'll be busting brush and throwing bushy dries and big colorful nymphs. As I've often opined here: super short fly rods are an aquired taste but I'd bet you'll enjoy yours. Yeah, a good deal.

A little short for my tastes, even on the brushy streams, but I like the 5 wts too for these streams.

Yeah, good deal. Let us know how she fishes.

I like the watch, what kind is it?

That's pretty much what Shenk mastered the Letort with so I would say you are in good company.

jdaddy wrote:
That's pretty much what Shenk [color=CC0000](and Fishidiot)[/color] mastered the Letort with so I would say you are in good company.

I'm a longer rod guy, but a short rod doesn't seem to slow down FI in the least.

Nice rig. I have on old Fenwick 6' 5wt glass that does a nice job. Nice watch too.

You won't see my 6 footer at Stocktoberfest 2011 though. Afish do you experience any shrinkage when using your long rod? :roll:

fadeaway263 wrote:
You won't see my 6 footer at Stocktoberfest 2011 though. Afish do you experience any shrinkage when using your long rod? :roll:

Only when the water is COLD!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

fadeaway263 wrote:

Nor fish.

wsender wrote:
I like the watch, what kind is it?

Judging from the file name "Timex resized" I'm gonna go with a Timex.

Did you consider the Cabela's short glass rods when you selected the TQR? I'm thinking of picking one up. I pay my kids tuitions on my Cabela's card and get piles of points. Time to stop by on my way to Spring Creek this weekend.

Talk to Al in the FF hut. He was knowledgeable about 6 foot rods. Told me he only fishes the little Schuykill because the LLHigh is too far of a drive...from Hamburg???

I hvae a 7' 3wt TQR and the action seems to be pretty fast and works well on smaller streams

fadeaway263 wrote:
Talk to Al in the FF hut. He was knowledgeable about 6 foot rods. Told me he only fishes the little Schuykill because the LLHigh is too far of a drive...from Hamburg???

Some people live in different cities than they work in . . . see? And I would rather fish Little Schuykill a lot of the time anyway. It's a nice stream.

I say talk to Bob in the fly hut, screw that Al guy...............j/k

Fished the rod Sunday on Broad Run below and above the golf course. This rod is perfect for small streams like that. Saw some fish below the bridge just before the golf corse but didn't have any luck as I was learning how to cast the rod plus it was VERY windy.

Back