5wt

R

RUFLY44

im in need of a new or used 5wt fly rod, something fast however im on the college budget i need somin under 250 considering ill need line and a reel, any ideas?

here's a St Croix Legend Elite for $185 starting bid. I bet you get it for that.

I would ask for photos of the rod and tube though, because they have "borrowed" that photo from Leland Fly Fishing. The rod and tube in the photo is NOT an Legend Elite (they are green).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/St-Croix-Legend-Elite-590-4-9-5wt-Fly-Rod-E905-4-/150707002554?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2316d65cba#ht_500wt_1178

jdaddy wrote:
here's a St Croix Legend Elite for $185 starting bid. I bet you get it for that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/St-Croix-Legend-Elite-590-4-9-5wt-Fly-Rod-E905-4-/150707002554?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2316d65cba#ht_500wt_1178

I prefer the Legend Ultra - Both are excellent rods. The Ultra is a fast action but a little bit slower. I also over line these rods to suit my casting style.

I have owned both and many other St Croix rods. My all time favorite is an Older Imperial from about 15 years ago. I buy them every time I see one on ebay. Hard to find but about 80 or 90 bucks when you do.

Here is one at a good price - http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-St-Croix-Legend-Ultra-Fly-Rod-9-foot-5-weight-2-pc-/200681484404?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb98c7074#ht_3142wt_1159

I have a brand new St Croix Imperial 9' 5wt with a warranty that hasn't been registered if you would be interested.

Bruno,

Agreed. I have/have owned both Ultra and Elite and really like the feel of the Ultra.

For the line and reel, check out Allen. Ad on the right side of every page. Get on the email list for some deals. He's having some holiday sales right now that you can get a nice reel and line for well within your budget.

I own several products and happy with them all.

Winston's Passport has been getting very good/great reviews, and they are $199. I prefer Made in USA rods and reel, but this might be an exception.
http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/FlyRodReview.Best5weightflyrod.HardyZenith.SageZ-axis.WinstonB3x.WinstonBIIIx.LoomisNRX.SageVXP.StCroixLegendEliteTempleforkBVK.asp
Look at James Anderson's comments on the right-hand column:
http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/James.5weightcomparisonsagezaxiswinstonb3xhardyzenithflyrod.montanaflyfishingguideenith.asp#WinstonPassport

Why not consider building one?

i have a st. croix and love it, what about a winston passport has anyone fished that?

Own the 4wt and I love how it casts. Roll casts amazing and is a great all around rod. Only problem I have had with mine is the hardware is starting to flake. It was plastic covered in chrome. I plan on taking the rod back to Cabelas to see if they will replace it, because this should not be happening.

SBecker wrote:
Own the 4wt and I love how it casts. Roll casts amazing and is a great all around rod. Only problem I have had with mine is the hardware is starting to flake. It was plastic covered in chrome. I plan on taking the rod back to Cabelas to see if they will replace it, because this should not be happening.

If not Winston will and without a "warranty" charge. But I am sure it is nickle plate over metal. What part are you suggesting is plastic?

Having said that, the St Croix Legend Elite is a better made rod. But regular retail on Elite is $420 where as the Passport is $200.

I played around with Beckers 4wt and it performed nicely.

jdaddy wrote:
SBecker wrote:

If not Winston will and without a "warranty" charge. But I am sure it is nickle plate over metal. What part are you suggesting is plastic?

Having said that, the St Croix Legend Elite is a better made rod. But regular retail on Elite is $420 where as the Passport is $200.

I played around with Beckers 4wt and it performed nicely.

Unless metal is white, it is plastic. The part that is flaking is the real lock and the butt cap.

SBecker wrote:

Unless metal is white, it is plastic. The part that is flaking is the real lock and the butt cap.

I would hold that it is impossible for that to be plastic. The reel lock would break way to easily.

peen9305 wrote:
I have a brand new St Croix Imperial 9' 5wt with a warranty that hasn't been registered if you would be interested.

How much ?

Heritage has seen it, and I think he would concur that it is plastic.

+1 for Allen. Haven't used their stuff yet, but it looks slick. My next set up will be purchased from them.

SBecker wrote:
Heritage has seen it, and I think he would concur that it is plastic.

That is freaking nuts. I mean I know it's a $200 Winston but the price is supposed to reflect off shore production and cheaper (but not plastic!) hardware. That is simply unacceptable. I would email Winston and I don't know . . . whine or something.

Bruno - make me an offer. The rod has NEVER been fished.

peen9305 wrote:
Bruno - make me an offer. The rod has NEVER been fished.

Maybe after the holiday - just blew my wad on a ski trip for the kids.

Back