50.00 Abel Nippers, Worth It?

PoconoPaul

PoconoPaul

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on those $50 Abel nippers?

Was doing some reading about them and their supposed to stay sharp longer than your average nippers, but I am not sure dropping $50 bucks is worth especially if I wind up losing them on stream.

I realize it's a rather small part of our gear, but I find myself going through the cheepo nips I get. Also would anyone recommend a comparable brand for less?

I can't imagine spending $50 on nippers. My favorite are a pair I think I bought at Cabelas a couple of years ago called the tie fast combo tool. They have a nail knot tool, hook sharpener (but not a great one), and an eye cleaner built in. What I like the most about them is that the front of the nipper is flat. This allows you to sharpen them with a couple of strokes on a sharpening stone. Probably touched them up once a year and never had a problem.

I bought $22.00 Fishpond nippers and they were awesome until I lost them. Now I have finger nail clippers hanging on my vest and wish I had that $22.00 back. Don't get me wrong, they were really nice, but I didnt even make it a year before they disappeared.

Paul, my buddy who might speak for us has a pair. He received his for free, but said they were not worth $50.

I use nail clippers that I pick up for a dollar from a local bait shop. I replace them once every 3 years maybe. That means it would take me 150 years to pay $50 for clippers . Take that for what its worth and it's only my opinion.

$50 for a pair of nippers is absurd. Yes, as fly fishers we like to spend lots of money on equipment, but let's not fall for this one!

Agreed. Spend Another $20 and you could have a great set of aluminum pliers(like the okuma ones I have) that have great side cutters on them. The tiny cutting jaws are easily replaceable with a tiny allen wrench too.

And I thought the $20 I spent on fishpond nippers was silly! (It was) In addition to the nippers I care a small LL Bean version of a weatherman tool that has scissors instead of pliers. They come in handy on the stream.

$50 is high for nippers.

I'm sorry Becker, but the bargin bin nail clippers are complete garbage too. I've had them last about 2 trips before they became all dented and can't cut anything. I swore off nippers for awhile due to this. I couldn't find a good pair for the longest time (part of this is why I dislike FFP). I would carry an old pair of tying scissors with me for cutting.

Eventually I got the fishpond Aussie nippers and really likes them. Best 9 bucks I ever spent.

I bought Fishpond nippers three years ago and thought at the time they were expensive($22, they were). They work great and are still sharp and I don't regret buying them but I would not spend $50 on ANY pair of nippers.

wsender wrote:
$50 is high for nippers.

I'm sorry Becker, but the bargin bin nail clippers are complete garbage too. I've had them last about 2 trips before they became all dented and can't cut anything. I swore off nippers for awhile due to this. I couldn't find a good pair for the longest time (part of this is why I dislike FFP). I would carry an old pair of tying scissors with me for cutting.

Eventually I got the fishpond Aussie nippers and really likes them. Best 9 bucks I ever spent.

I dunno mine work fine. I have never been on a stream and been like " damn these nippers!"

I had the fishpond nippers and liked them till they came unclipped from my waist pack and I lost them in the Gunpowder. Switched over to nippers I got for free (so not sure how much they cost) from Montana Fly Company. They are the best I have used so far. Sharp as hell! Cut through any size line I have tried so far with no issues.

I dunno mine work fine. I have never been on a stream and been like " damn these nippers!"

I was fishing with my brother and he was complaining about dull nippers. I thought he was crazy, i never had that happen to me. Well later that day while fishing i had a hard time cutting because of dents in the edge! SOB!

Anyway, now i only carry a pair of Dr Slick Mitten Hemos that have a cutting edge at the rear of the clamps. Even use them to cut braided line in the salt. Best tool i've bought, hemos and cutters all in one.

Will have to check into them and the one the other guy mention if I can find their web site. For the longest time I was buying these 99 cent, in a plastic can at the flyshop counter brand that were black and had a little point in the back to clear the head cement from the fly hook, but within months each tip got bent for one reason or another and the blades dulled after only a few uses. As you might imagine not great for quick pattern changes on the fly :)

I have a pair. I didn't buy them, they were a Christmas gift. A great gift from a great best friend. I'll use them happily. They're beautiful. Are they worth $50... who knows... I buy every year or so a pair of William Joesph nippers at $15 per. So if I keep 'em for four years, I'm doing pretty good. The WJ nippers do dull over the year and the orange cover falls off after a while and I still use them without the rubber until they're completely shot. On the Abel nippers,, I can change the blades for $6, so I expect to have these for a long time. I've gone through all the cheapos, don't like the Fishpond ones, have one with a built in nail knot tool - don't like them either. Too big.

Abel equipment is fantastic. It lasts forever. They stand behind their products like a lot of great fly fishing companies here in the U.S. Happy to have the nippers and will put 'em to good use on the river on Monday. I've never lost a pair of nippers - watch - this will be the first pair I lose!

Cheers,
Mike.

I would say spend your $50 on something else. Put it towards a new line or something. I have been using the same $5 nippers for over 5 years. They even came with a hook hone and nail knot tool built into the nipers. Half the time I use my teeth anyway. I'm sure the abel nippers are nice, but completely unnecessary.

I guess I am the minority here but i think they are the best nippers made. Pricey but just the highest quality to say the least. Last pair you will ever buy.

Nippers? I just break my flies off in trees anyways! actually most tippet i just bite off or separate my clinch not and cut off the curly end to retie. I do carry my orvis hemo's with a cutting tool and a pair of dr slick scissors on my chest pack... for $50, if you're careful and have a good way of securing them that you aren't going to lose them and don't need anything else... go for it, end of the day it's one tank of gas if you're lucky.

Another bump for the Fishpond ones. 22.00 was a deal. I just ordered another pair tonight on a closeout for like 8 bucks....I think 50. is a tad high even if they are the greatest nippers ever.

They might be the best nippers ever made, but nippers are just so easy to lose. I would be sick to my stomach if I bought them, then lost them.

I agree with losing them too but I don't let that make up my mind when buying something. I am privileged to guide pricing but if I had to suggest nippers I would suggest buying a moderate priced pair that have a good rep. and take the savings and invest into more important gear.

Back