5 wt reel options

Tucker733

Tucker733

I won a new Orvis recon and would like to get a reel to match up with it. I've now got a little higher end rod then anything I've ever bought and would like to get a little higher end rell for it. The rods is a 9 ft 5wt. I'm really looking at spend $200 give or take a little. Right now I'm really looking at a lamson guru because I love the Konic that I have. Just looking for any suggestions or points in the right direction.

I have the Access reel on my Access rod(which the recon replaced) and I love how it balances the rod and the power that the drag can produce. I use the Access III which is rated for 5-7 weights. It costs $165 new, which leaves you money left for a good line.

But, you can never go wrong with a lamson, they are an excellent reel.

The guru's are nice reels, but there is a lot of them in the 150-200 range. The Hardy Ultralite is on sale right now for 170, the Allen Trout 2 is also about 150.

Never understood for PA trout streams why someone would want to spend a lot of money on a reel. If this was benig used for smallies or other fish that require drag then it would be a different story.

Can't go wrong with Lamson! Check out Sierra Trading Post. Think they have some on there that might fit the bill.

You are right about that bigjohn most of the fish I've been catching you can lift right out of the water

My Clearwater reel works well with my 904-4 Recon.

bigjohn58 wrote:
Never understood for PA trout streams why someone would want to spend a lot of money on a reel. If this was benig used for smallies or other fish that require drag then it would be a different story.

Maybe he's not fishing only in PA. Maybe he's not fishing just small water/small trout.

Maybe he just wants something that is above the quality of a tuna can with line wrapped around it.

Sheesh, it's not like he proposed spending $1000 on a trout reel. Guy got himself a decent rod and wants a decent reel to match. The $200 price range is pretty mid-range.

I have been pleased with all three of the Lamsons that I own. Various models can be had for reasonable prices with a little shopping around.

bigjohn58 wrote:

I lose more fish by playing them in hand than I do by just putting them on the reel. If I put a big fish on the reel, I want the drag to be able to stop it. For brookie streams drags are useless, but for anything bigger I think you should have a drag or be prepared to lose fish. Try fishing the Upper Delaware and that will definately change your mind.

PennKev wrote:
bigjohn58 wrote:
Never understood for PA trout streams why someone would want to spend a lot of money on a reel. If this was being used for smallies or other fish that require drag then it would be a different story.

Maybe he's not fishing only in PA. Maybe he's not fishing just small water/small trout.

Maybe he just wants something that is above the quality of a tuna can with line wrapped around it.

Sheesh, it's not like he proposed spending $1000 on a trout reel. Guy got himself a decent rod and wants a decent reel to match. The $200 price range is pretty mid-range.

Well said PennKev!

I think if you're fishing water than holds strong fish that are of any size having a reel with a good drag is really important. As stated above, if you've ever fished places like the Delaware or the Lehigh and caught a decent size fish your reel is screaming... not worth losing a fish of a lifetime because of a crappy reel

You'd have to go used for the $200 price range, but An Abel TR 2 or "new" Orvis CFO III, or an "old" Orvis CFO IV would be solid reels that you could use the rest of your life for any 9' 5 weight rod. To me, those are all lifetime reels that are perfect for a 5 weight rod that would never need to be upgraded.

njk3395 wrote:
I think if you're fishing water than holds strong fish that are of any size having a reel with a good drag is really important. As stated above, if you've ever fished places like the Delaware or the Lehigh and caught a decent size fish your reel is screaming... not worth losing a fish of a lifetime because of a crappy reel

As long as the drag is smooth you'll be OK. I'd be leery of a cheap disk drag, but a decent click and pawl drag won't cause you to lose fish. Don't get me wrong, a disc drag is easier, but to me a clicker is more fun. I use clickers for every rod I fish including a 2 hander for steelhead in big water (way bigger than the salmon river).

Thats funny...took over a week for my post to get any attention!

Anyways I never play a fish on the reel or at least never play a trout on the reel. I fish larger streams as well as smaller (Pine Creek size to small brookie Streams) and have caught wild trout up to 24" and stockies up to 7 pounds and never played one on the reel. I guess thats just my style though. I always kinda cringe when I see someone playing a trout on the reel.

Now if we were talking smallies on the Susquehanna then I'd say yeah get a good drag!

"Drag for smallmouth, yes"

What kind of smallmouth are you guys catching that make long / high speed runs? They run 10', pull like hell, yank them in and than they bolt for the bottom again. They pretty much try to hol their ground.

As for reels.... I have Lamsons, Redington, Ross, Galvan. I didn't try a Lamson for a while due to pressure fitted spools. Didn't think they'd work but sure nuff, they do. All have great drags but very different price points. Guru is a nice reel.

I've also landed wild fish up to 26.25" in 2015. It goes on the reel ASAP unless it's a dink.

bigjohn58 wrote:
I always kinda cringe when I see someone playing a trout on the reel.[
/quote]

I cringe when I see someone fighting a trout and most of their line is off their reel and forming a 40' loop on the water downstream of them. Line tangled all over the place , fish swimming through said tangled line, stepping on the line.... Meh no thanks.

PennKev wrote:
bigjohn58 wrote:
I always kinda cringe when I see someone playing a trout on the reel.[
/quote]

I cringe when I see someone fighting a trout and most of their line is off their reel and forming a 40' loop on the water downstream of them. Line tangled all over the place , fish swimming through said tangled line, stepping on the line.... Meh no thanks.

I never have that much line out. If I do I will spin my reel a couple of times during the fight to take up some of the line I have out but I always play the fish by hand.

bigjohn58 wrote:
Never understood for PA trout streams why someone would want to spend a lot of money on a reel.

What are some good options for reels that are modestly priced but work well?

What do you use?

Back