5 Tips For Better Fly Fishing Photographs

Status
Not open for further replies.
CasselmanRiver.jpg

Many of us catch and release our fish. Photography is the one way we can return home with those sporting memories. There are so many good quality waterproof digital cameras today and there is no reason you can’t keep one accessible with you while on the stream. A few tips can really help show off that time on the water.

Read Your Manual
Learn your camera and read the manual. Your camera won’t make you a photographer, but has many settings that can help improve your pictures. Learn to move your settings out of the automatic mode and try some of the portrait, landscape or other programs depending on your subject. These settings offer many qualities that improve the lighting and focus of your pictures based on specific conditions.

Check The Lighting
The time and temperature of the light can play a key role in your photography. The early morning and evening light is often regarded as the best time for photography and referred to as the “golden hours.” The sunlight during these times is softer and does not provide the harsh contrast of mid-day shadows. When you are taking a picture of a friend at noon with that ball cap try adding the flash to fill in those shadows.

Have A Subject
We are talking about fly fishing so that includes people, water and fish. If you can get two or more of those subjects in your picture you off to a good start. A picture of a trout in the mud, next to your foot does have all three qualities, but is not going to land your photograph on a trout stamp. When taking a picture of a stream include an angler in action. Also, try moving your subject to one side of the picture or even adjusting your angle of view.

Be Sure To Focus
Nobody should have to question if that was a brown or brook trout in you pictures. Take advantage of the sensors in your camera that allow you to auto focus you shots. Most cameras visualize a solid dot when you are in focus. Keep the camera steady and on subject to capture that sharp image.

Get Closer
Just remember less feet and more face. There are many different subjects that you take pictures of while you are fly fishing. Just move in a little closer to capture the detail of the trout with that BWO fly you tied last winter.

Try these tips to improve those photographs while out on the stream.

J
Great tips! Thanks for sharing these useful tips. You can also get ten ways to improve Your Fly Fishing Photography. If you see a better angle than the one the photo manual says to us, take it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MB2-632 practice test | 350-050 practice test | 642-973 practice test

Last edited:
J
Great tips! Thanks for sharing these useful tips. You can also get ten ways to improve Your Fly Fishing Photography. If you see a better angle than the one the photo manual says to us, take it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
J

Last edited:
sight_nymph_17109
Got it. If you plan to fly fish in PA, here's a book you should own.

Last edited:
bikerfish
bought it when it first came out many years ago, needless to say, it is getting a little worn out!! might have to retire it and pick up a new copy!

Last edited:
A
I also rarely leave home on a fishing trip without it. I especially like the maps and clear directions to access areas. But I always wonder, how can one guy fish so many places all over the state? :)

Last edited:
FiveWeight
Yep, I have this one also. Kinda funny how most guys state that they take it along with them when they go fishing. I usually take it with me, along with "Trout Streams and Hatches of Pennsylvania" by Meck. Another darn near must have. If you don't have um, get um. It's like have'n paflyfish.com with you without the computer.
Nice blog on this Dkile. It's nice to see I'm in good company with the books I read.

Last edited:
D
Any plans on a 4th Edition ?

Last edited:
TossinFlies15
Does it include all the smaller native streams that usually aren't on the map?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back