4wt Reel question

ISK

ISK

So I'm thinking about buying a 7'6" 4wt glass rod to replace my 10yr old Cabelas Prestige (kit) in the same size

I'm looking at a Nautilus X reel

and I can't decide between getting a 4/5 or 3/4.

I already have a gen 1 Orvis Recon 8'6" 5wt (kit w hydros reel) and my thoughts are:

If I get a 4/5 I can also use it with my Recon - but will it be 'too much' reel for a short 4wt glass rod?

a 3/4 could get used in conjunction with a future purchase of one of those 10' 3wt nymph rigs (if i go that route)

what would you get?

I have been fishing the nautilus x in the 4/5 for 4 years I still use it for landlocked salmon . But for the past two years I had it on a 7’ 3/4 wt e-glass . I had a dt 4wt line . So I could use it on a 10’4wt nymph set up . I am still amazed with the reel and how well it adapts to my fishing style . I fish I know on a st. Croix imperial 9’ 5wt for land locked salmon and it performs flawlessly

Reactions: ISK
If I get a 4/5 I can also use it with my Recon - but will it be 'too much' reel for a short 4wt glass rod?
I regularly use a 5/6 reel with all my 7'6" rods, including 4 wt glass rods.

And if you're thinking of replacing it with a Cabela's glass rod, there's a possibility that the 4 weight might turn out to be a 5.

So I'm thinking about buying a 7'6" 4wt glass rod to replace my 10yr old Cabelas Prestige (kit) in the same size

I'm looking at a Nautilus X reel

and I can't decide between getting a 4/5 or 3/4.

I already have a gen 1 Orvis Recon 8'6" 5wt (kit w hydros reel) and my thoughts are:

a 3/4 could get used in conjunction with a future purchase of one of those 10' 3wt nymph rigs (if i go that route)

what would you get?
Choose whatever reel weight balances out your rod, i.e. not tip or butt heavy. Neutral balance makes a rod feel almost weightless vs fighting to balance you rod when holding it fishing out a cast.

Back