4wt Info

D

Duff

My brother fishes NC wild streams. He told me he wants a 4wt for the tiny wild ones. I fly fish rivers for smallies, stripers and shad. I do an oldtimers annual trip to Pine creek area streams. But; I don't consider myself a trout fly guy.

Last we talked, he said he is rethinking a 6ft 4wt rod because on the strike they go flying over you shoulder. I'd like to build him a 4wt for these tiny wild trout. I thought this would be a good place to get some input.

Give these guys a call. They sell blanks only or complete kits. Below is a link for 5'6" 4wt. They can find exactly what you are looking for. TFO Finesse has a 6'6" 2wt and St Croix has several models in that size. If he's catching tiny fish, a 2wt might be perfect or maybe a 3wt. He can overline one of those models with a 4wt when casting short in tight areas.

http://www.flyrodbuildingkits.com/online-store.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=819&category_id=147

If he is catching your average native brook trout, I'd recommend a 3wt or a 2wt.

I'll second anglers habitat as a great place to purchase blanks and kits. On the phone they are very helpful. I've build the a forcast 6'6" 2wt which is awesome for natives in tight vegetation. I've also built a 7'6" 4wt. The 4wt is a nice all around trout rod. It's my #1 rod these days but if I'm just going after little brookies, I'd go 2 or 3wt. The presentation and feel is much more suited for a small mountain creek.

I think a 4wt is a solid small stream rod. Dink fish are dink fish. A 2 or 3wt rod will not make them any bigger. It will, however, make it more difficult to cast a bushy dry or weighted streamer. A 4wt rod on the other hand is just right for making tight casts in close quarters and confined spaces.

a 4wt fiberglass rod is my ideal small stream rod. It will give the ability to cast small streamers and larger bushy flies, but will also let the fish show off a little once hooked.

The 3-4wt 7' Riffle fiberglass blank or rod sold by Phil Balachino's Kettle Creek Tackle Shop is terrific. Light, pleasant, and I can't believe what casts I can do in "tight quarters" with this rod.

http://kettlecreektackleshop.com/index.html

Back