4 wt Fly Rod

Anyone who is willing to give the fine state of PA a $100 a year to receive a number can get that deal and many others.

Are you talking about guiding license? If yes, then don't they require CPR certification, liability insurance, etc?

Also, FYI for others, custom rods are typically much lower cost than factory rods. You can have Winstons and Sage higher end rods built for $400 plus shipping. There are ways of getting discounts on factory equipment such as Simms, St Croix, Ross, etc as well.

yes they do ok so add another $1000 to the mix!

Alpa,

You can't deny, Sage is the big guy on the block. It's only because they make some super products.

Ya, I was thinking a GL policy would probably have a min premium of around $1000 a year. Not sure on the costs of CPR certification, etc. Are the pro rates pretty much a given one you have a guide license? I.E. send in the guide license and they set you up? I know Lamson/Waterworks pro program is 50% off retail. Is that pretty much standard?

You can't deny, Sage is the big guy on the block. It's only because they make some super products.

I think Orvis is right there in the mix. Depends on what the new Sage rod line looks like, but I believe the helios beats any of the Sage line up at this point. When you start looking at the mid and entry level rods, I believe Orvis is right there too. Having said that, I don't own an Orvis rod but that is only because I can't buy them cheap like I can other premium rods. I get really annoyed by the generalizations of the Orvis haters though. It's so funny to watch some trout bum fly boy make fun of someone with Orvis gear because they paid soooo much for the Orvis stuff. Said fly boy is doing this while wearing $500 Simms waders, $700 loomis rods and $300 Ross reels.

I'm not Denying anything about Sage. I'm gonna buy a rod once I got put on the plan!

Maybe just maybe I'll like it better then my 8'4 wt helios but I doubt!

I'm guessing that you are right w/ the Helios comment. Either they give them away to the guides I've met or they really like the rods and are buying them. What I'm saying is that over the last 25 yrs, Sage has owned everyone in product quality, product lines, inovation / tech. People STILL want the XP, LL and SP models. I don't see a 15 yr old 'far and fine' being looked at in the same way. You might as well buy bamboo.

Dude chill......I've never bashed Sage every sage rod I've ever cast I've liked!

I'm a Sage guy. If you gave me the choice of the Helios and a Sage Z-axis, I would take the Sage. But rod choice is an individual thing. JDaddy would take the Orvis, some other guy would take a Winston, or a Scott, or a T&T.....no one is wrong or right.

YES jdaddy is wrong! He only likes the Winston rods because they are green. He thinks the fish won't get spooked by a 'tree branch' looking thingy waving around in the breeze. T&T rods? Where'd you pull that out of. LOL. I thought they were extinct. Pair that up with a sweet Marryat reel :)

Back