4 wt Fly Rod

mcgraw10

mcgraw10

I currently have a 7 wt switch rod and am looking to get something around a 4wt to fish some of these smaller streams. I am not looking to break the bank but am looking to spend around $200. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

You can't go wrong with a TFO pro. I have an 8 ft 4 wt I fish often.

You need to provide more detail. There are so many rods out there, and nearly everyone has different opinions and tastes.

What kind of rod action do you prefer? Length? What kind of fishing will you be doing with it? Do you want something for a specific tactic, or just general use? The more detail you can provide, the more help we can give. Even at a $200 price point, there is just an insane number of rods to choose from.

All that said, just keep in mind that the only true way to find a rod that suits your needs is to go to a shop and cast. Anything else is just lip service. One man's fast action is another man's moderate. One man's trash rod is another man's winston :)-P), etc etc.

What Jay said but either way I highly recommend the rod you do settle for have a 25 yr warranty.

That being said I bought a Cabela's LST a few months ago and love it! You can gladly try it out........ If you can get outta bed :p

LST is a good call ($100), TFO is also nice but a bit more. If you can swing the extra couple of bucks, Cabelas bargain cave has St Croix Legend Ultra for around $215. Nice rod, good warranty and trade up program!

Speaking of the bargain cave, there were two unlabeled 9' 5wts going for $70? I asked the guy in the fly shop about them and he said they were likely brand name demos, but didn't know the specifics on those two...

I think that they may be 'proto-type' rods made for Cableas to test. They look like Ross FW models to me. I have one of those and it's pretty nice.

"Speaking of the bargain cave, there were two unlabeled 9' 5wts going for $70? I asked the guy in the fly shop about them and he said they were likely brand name demos, but didn't know the specifics on those two..."

My response in Cheap Rods & Gear You Are Proud To Own:

Cabela's had unnamed fly rods in the Bargain Cave a few weeks ago with a sticker on them that read 905-2, which I assumed meant 9 ft, 5 weight, 2 piece. Very nice cosmetics, brown woven graphite reel seat. They were test rods given to Cabela's to get their fly fishing employee's opinion without knowing who the manufacturer was. Still had the plastic wrap on the grip. So I offered them $60 (they were labeled $75), which they accepted, and I took one home to test. I Liked it so much I went back the next day and bought one for my son.

LST is a good call ($100), TFO is also nice but a bit more. If you can swing the extra couple of bucks, Cabelas bargain cave has St Croix Legend Ultra for around $215. Nice rod, good warranty and trade up program!

This is the correct answer. LST is $100 at Cabelas right now. Great deal. I have 9' 4wt and I like it as much as my green sticks, honestly. St Croix Legand Ultra for around $200 is a great deal as well. Check out their website.

I 100% guarantee that the "Unidentified" rods in the bargain cave that were going for $70 is in fact an LST. They are a great deal, but at $70 you have zero warranty or exchange. For $100 you have full warranty, exchange and a bit higher resell should you ever need to do so. Cabelas exchange/warranty program cannot be beaten, especially if you are local.

I have a St. Croix Triumph 7ft 4 wt and like it, I think it was around $100, but the Cabelas LST is nice. They did just drop the price or it was on sale. St Croix does make nice rods, but it doesn't cast as good as my helios 5wt. For a good rod that isn't real expensive, I would buy St. Croix again.

If Jesus was a fly rod, he'd be my Versitex 8' 4wt.

I bought mine for $225 from the Little Lehigh Fly Shop, and I'd do it again if I had to.

I'd had an LST, a TFO Professional, and something else, all of which sucked in comparision.

Winston is discontinuing their Chinese made line up. Blue Quill Angler has Vapor on sell for your price range. Skip the Ascent, it is crap.

http://www.bluequillangler.com/Products/Winston_Fly_Rods?range=1%2C40%2C48

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14617&forum=14

Brandon,

You compare the top of the line Orvis rod to a lower / mid level rod from St Croix. That's like saying "My vette is faster than your Focus". It's a given. Apples to apples.... Legend Elite vs Helios....
St Croix is under 3 oz, 1/2 the price and great warranty. I'm cheap so it's a no brainer for me. The Helios may slightly out perform the Elite but I can get a 4wt & 5wt rod vs one from Orvis. I'll live with the minor performance deficit.

I'll wait for Alpa (team helios) to chime in on this post.

I would never pay $755 for rod. But at my price the Helios is awesome!

What does the elite go far?

$440 from one guy and you get a free rio gold line w/ it.

I get the Helios for about $375 to my door!

Not everybody gets that deal so it doesn't matter. The deal I mentioned is there for everyone to get.

Anyone who is willing to give the fine state of PA a $100 a year to receive a number can get that deal and many others.

Come October I might be able to do that same then with your beloved Sage!

I've got an Orvis Flea (6' 4wt) that I would sell for $200.

Back