3wt??

thebassman

thebassman

Hey Guys,

I am looking for options on a "budget" minded 3wt rod. I have looked around at the Redington Tempt and Pursuit, as well as the Allen ATS (I have a 9' 5wt ATS). Other rods that has caught my eye recently are the Cabelas CGt Fibergalss rod or their Three Forks Rod. I am looking for a rod that is 7'6 or under for small streams, and for some bluegill slaying fun!

What are your thoughts on these rods?

I have fished with an older Cabelas Three Forks (Thanks to H.A) and loved it. I hear however that the newer ones are more of a fast action than the older more moderate action rods. I am just wondering if there is a rod that I have not considered and I need to take a look at. I am wanting to stay around or below $150 just because I am cheap.

What are some things to look for in a small 3wt rod. I had an Allen Xa when they first came out, but stupid me sold it before I even fished with it....looking for options. I am going to post in the classifieds that I am looking for one so if you have one to sell let me know too....

Steven

I built a 7'6" 3 wt from an Allen Xa blank last winter and I use it all the time on small streams. The cost was about $175 and it was a fun project.

Don

I got the 3 Forks 7'6" 3 wt. I like it. Csts well, even in a wind @ Valley when others tell me it won't work.

PM sent

I'd pick up the three forks but wait until a sale if you watch you can pick one up for about 30.00. The 3 wt is much slower then the others I think.

What jackass told you that, Keith!? oh...whoops...

Sas, no jackasses told me anything, just a couple of guys I know.

For what its worth, I thought it would be windier than it was on the stream haha! When we fished it in Oct., I used my Allen 2wt (which has 3wt line on it) and I struggled in the wind. It was windier that day, though.

Sas and Keith: I think you two boys should go to your bedrooms with no dinner or fishing for the night. Don't you know it's not nice to swear?

An open post topic like this will give you plenty of answers. It is always best to go to Cabela's or Bass Pro and try out several 3 weight rods in the 7'6". What may work for me, may not work for you. Go with your gut feeling.

I have a St Croix Avid series 3 weight rod that had a pretty modest price when I bought it - 10 years ago or so. About $160 if I remember correctly.
It's a nice little rod - 6 foot length - and has served my needs quite well.

I think you owe Allen your business.

@Sbecker I do.....and Redington lol

I don't know if my input would be of any help, but I will give it anyways :)
I have the 3/4wt Allen ATS and the 4wt ATS. I find them to be similar action and have been happy with them. But for small stream fishing I enjoy using my 3wt Lamiglass rod. I find the ability for glass to load really quickly in small streams to be beneficial.
I might suggest giving the Cabela's CGT a shake if you are looking for a small stream rod. I've heard good feedback about those and the CR it replaced.
Of course everyone's preference is difference and getting the rods in your hands is the best way to make a choice. I just wanted to give the glass rod option some support :)

Eagle Claw! Right Sas?

Not if he wants a 3wt haha! I'm looking at that Cabelas glass for a 3wt.

I thought about going to the Eagle Claw glass for the 6'6" 4wt instead of a 3wt for a glass rod.....I am looking at the Cabelas Glass pretty close now too

If you go w/ the Eagle Claw, you'll want to put 5wt on it. Usually w/ glass, you want to go w/ the heavier line weight. 4wt will feel under lined.

Swattie was telling me about the Cabelas, he said its faster than a lot of glass. I think that's good for a small stream rod.

On the FFR forums a guy has a used LLBean 6'6" 3 wt. for 90 bucks. Not affiliated with me in any way, just thought it would be an option.

http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=42057

I ended up going with another Allen ATS Rod. I still am interested in the fiberglass stuff. Gonna do more research on em and go from there.

Back