3wt vs 4wt fly line

B

burghwolfe

I hope to be building a 3/4 wt flyrod soon. It will be my first flyrod that I have built. It is a 7' rod. I also have a 9' 5/6 wt rod. I am now trying to decide whether to buy a 3 or 4 wt line for my new rod. I will likely use it mostly for fishing smaller streams and/or pond fishing. Would I be limiting myself by using a 3 wt line? I have never used anything other than my 5/6 wt so I could really use some advise on the pros and cons of my line choices.

Either buy both or try both before you buy. You'll find you like the way the rod casts with one or the other.

I would go with the lower wt. line.
Remember, line/rod weight is more for fly size/weight rather than intended fish size or casting distance. I would suggest getting double taper if the main use is small stream, that way you can flip it around when it starts to crack.

As we have discussed before on here, underweighting is better than over weighting.

not only does the fly line carry the fly but ir also flexes the rod. rod weights are give based on casting 30 ft. of fly line. if most of your fishing is going to be insde 30 ft then you may want to opt for the larger number. but it would be a good idea to cast both to see which feels better for that rod. contact some shops to see is they will allow you to test cast some lines. can't hurt to ask.

Back