38% of FFers are women...

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
according to this piece that aired on NBC news last night.

"....we drink beer, we pee in the woods, and we hang out....and it's awesome!"

Good stuff, IMHO.

I wonder where all of these female fly fishers reside. I didn't watch the video but I certainly basically never see women fishing anywhere I go.

Video says 31%

Fake news.

Maybe because I'm so provincial -- I have only ever run into one female fly-fisherman; and even though I was just sitting and watching for risers, she came up behind me and then chastised me for being at "her spot." Needless to say, I quickly left there to watch for rising trout elsewhere.

I doubt the 31% figure.

I certainly saw a good number of women fly fishers on the recent trip out West. My S.O. Fly fishes too.

But the % seems a lot closer to 10 or maybe 15% in my less than scientific study.

I'm thinking maybe 15% - 20% sounds more realistic. I've never encountered a lone female while fishing.

Yeah...but is it's really derogatory to call Tenkara users "women". I mean, it's just mean.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Yeah...but is it's really derogatory to call Tenkara users "women". I mean, it's just mean.

That right there is funny

There is a club in my area so it is not uncommon to see them on my local streams. When I first started I paid for lessons my instructor was a Lady with the name Mary Kuss I was told she was one of the founders of the club. https://dvwffa.org/

I've seen a few.

My used bait, if you know what I mean.

No fishing for snakehead jokes, please.

I think it's wonderful, although I have reservations that the actual percentage is anywhere near that high. I watched the piece on NBC News last night, albeit with the sound turned off while I read(the way I watch virtually all TV if I'm going to watch it at all..). My guess is that the 38% (or 31% if you prefer) was taken from a sample group of FFer's who are mostly from the more gussified/driftboat/guided/colorful kerchief/sunshine and shore lunch/high end demographic of the sport.

That is to say, I sort of doubt that 38% of the FFer's I will see on the local WW creeks, back in the woods on small trout streams or wading in the muck down to Pymatuning will be women.

But as an indicator that the sport is increasingly coming to be dominated by higher disposable income suburban types, I suppose the 30%+ is spot on.

Fredrick wrote:
The_Sasquatch wrote:

That right there is funny

There is a club in my area so it is not uncommon to see them on my local streams. When I first started I paid for lessons my instructor was a Lady with the name Mary Kuss I was told she was one of the founders of the club. https://dvwffa.org/

I really hope everyone, at this point, knows it's just shtick. It's kinda like my "fear of chubs"...my distaste of tenkara may be slightly exaggerated ;-)

I've seen more than ever this year - mostly on the system. I've seen a few who were very good casters.

The figure could be accurate. I know a number of women who fly fish. The figure doesn't say that 31% of fly fishing is done by women. It's entirely (almost certainly) possible while a significant number of women ff from time to time, they don't fish as frequently as many of us do, meaning you're less likely to encounter them streamside.

OTOH, 31% sounds like it was drawn out of a hat.

If I am to believe this, and I want to...Where are the 30 some percent ladies on PAFF? Total broomstick rod fest around here.

Squatch - Until I see you catch a chub (and release it nicely) on Tenkara equipment, I'm not buying it.

38% of FF's that pose for hero shots on Instagram and Facebook are females, that I believe. I doubt most of them actually fish though and it's probably debatable whether or not they even caught the fish they are posing with.

Perhaps the 31% includes trans genders.

huh...

Attachments

• youz guys.jpg
    youz guys.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 3
Swattie87 wrote:

Squatch - Until I see you catch a chub (and release it nicely) on Tenkara equipment, I'm not buying it.

#keepemwet

I once read, but I forget where since it was a long time ago that guides like women clients because they listen to them and follow their instructions. I kind of do exactly the same thing since I am paying them a lot of money to learn how to be a better fly fisherman and catch more trout.

That said, I know that my mother, ex-mother-in-law, ex-wife, sister, daughter, and neices would have zero interest in learning how to fly fish.

I've been hearing about the supposed impending movement of women into FFing for thirty years....and still haven't seen it.

Magazine covers and FFing shows have many more women that you will actually see out FFing. This is more about branding and image.

As Rleep and others have pointed out, the number of women who have fishing licenses or otherwise describe themselves as FFers is much higher than the number you actually see on the water.

FFing women are out there (and should be encouraged) but they don't fish as much and are nowhere near a third of the FFers out on the water at any given time.

Back