3 Things I upgraded / added this year

Letort

Letort

I have been fly fishing for a very long time and none of what I have added this year to my kit are things that I haven’t used in the past. But for various reasons, I now have a different appreciation for them.

1. Good sunglasses - got a pair of Smith chromspop lenses. What a huge difference they have made even over other quality polarized lenses that were not fishing specific.

2. Folstaff wading staff- had a Simms prior which I found to be clumsy. Folstaff is easy to deploy and am more likely to carry. Really increases stability in the stream.

3. Fishpond Caron net - hadn’t carried a net in a couple of years, after falling and breaking the last one. But I find it easier to keep the fish in the water in the net and less chance of breaking the leader. The Fiahpond net is about a pound or less and rides well on my vest.

Any equipment you have added this year that made a difference?

I haven't really added anything but,

1. I forgot my desiccant shake one night last week. I can't believe I ever lived without it.
  2. A good headlamp. I usually have one with me but seldom use it. I've gotten some good use out of it this spring.
The one thing I'd possibly like to add is a waterproof/submersible sling pack. I've soaked my current bag too many times by wading deep. Wet dry flies are no bueno.

I've always hated carrying a fishing net but I found a great solution.....a fold-up net that fits in a holster and it's made in PA! I find it very easy to carry and use. I chose the rubber ghost net, but there's plenty of other models to choose from here > https://www.handypaknetco.com/

I've always hated carrying a fishing net but I found a great solution.....a fold-up net that fits in a holster and it's made in PA! I find it very easy to carry and use. I chose the rubber ghost net, but there's plenty of other models to choose from here > https://www.handypaknetco.com/
I too have one. As you say, easy to carry and use. When I first got it, it took awhile to get the folding part down pat but now is easy peasy!

Added a Riverstick wading staff from Rick Humphrey. Love it! I should have added it 30 years ago.

I've got to say, my net is my least favorite thing I've been carrying lately. These look awesome!

Will certainly try one out, thanks for the suggestion.

I bought the smallest spring loaded bobbers I could find at wal mart. I believe the were "panfish" sized. At the end of day, when I reel up my line I place one on the end of my tippet and wind it up to the reel. This saves me the frustration of trying to dig out the fine tippet off the reel when I string up the next time. It's right there attached to the bobber, outside the reel.

Attachments

• acdd91ca-b18d-4af9-bb53-4e948bca14c2_1.53f0cdffbf972f43dd2865805e4ca5c9.jpeg.jpg
    acdd91ca-b18d-4af9-bb53-4e948bca14c2_1.53f0cdffbf972f43dd2865805e4ca5c9.jpeg.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 3
Back