$3 dip

BruceC2C

BruceC2C

Any GravelBar, will do just fine. 365. Fresh&Salt
Size 18
My first time ever, working with Deer Hair.

Def a challenge to keep my DHair pinch centered and not rolling to the far side of the hook .

Thank u Mr Galloup, & Mr Matthews

Attachments

• PXL_20240120_230743842~2.jpg
    PXL_20240120_230743842~2.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 176
Looks tricky, I would have probably used that material your dimes are resting on

Bruce, I think the reason you are having problems tying in the deer hair is because the hair is too thick/coarse. You need to find a piece of hair that’s finer. Basically lesser quality deer hair.

Jim

You only need a few strands. 6 strands of fairly coarse hair is enough. I prefer to leave some of the flared butts facing forward sorta like a mini EHC. it builds a very nice emerger profile IMO.

Or follow the advise in your other post on the subject and essentially switch to another wing/thorax style.

Bruce, I think the reason you are having problems tying in the deer hair is because the hair is too thick/coarse. You need to find a piece of hair that’s finer. Basically lesser quality deer hair.

Jim

Agreed. It looks like deer belly hair, which is good for spinning, but not good for every deer hair pattern. Deer body hair may be a little easier to work with.

One thing that helped me. Make sure you aren’t wrapping all of the deer hair at once. It can all be on the hook. But, as you wrap the thread, weave in between the individual hairs. This can really help on material twisting or rolling on you. Since you are only applying the rotational forces to a part of the material on each turn.

One technique to get deer hair on top is to hold it with two loose turns then pull up on the thread to tighten. Then put more wraps on to secure. Can wrap tighter at back of wrap to get more flare, looser to get more flare

i like a little more hair

3-Dip-1080-Brown.jpg

Back