3-4 Wt. Reel

salmo

salmo

I’ve had more than my share of fly reels, but most were purchased for under $200.00. I’ve decided to up my game, but remain under $300.00. I’m looking for a 3-4 Wt. Any suggestions? I got outbid on EBay on a custom Hatch. I’ll consider lightly used if any members might have one to sell.

Check out the Galvan Brookie reel. I had a 3wt and thought it was a great reel.

Click pawl or you want a drag system? I have a Colorado LT on my 3wt and I love it. It was between that and the galvan brookie and I went with the Colorado because the space between clicks was less

Just curious as to why you want to spend a lot of money on a 3/4wt reel? Its going to do everything a $20 ebay special will. All it will do is hold the line.

bigjohn58 wrote:
Just curious as to why you want to spend a lot of money on a 3/4wt reel? Its going to do everything a $20 ebay special will. All it will do is hold the line.

Aesthetic, sound, quality of build coupled with simplicity of said build, and availability of replacement parts or customer service to repair. Those are all qualities a $20 special lacks in but mean the world when you're on a 7 day hunt in no service land.

I was using a Redington Zero for a while because it seemed like a middle of the road option that wasn't the battenkill (I hate that reel for other reasons) and wasn't $300 nor a $20 special. That zero has now been relegated to the drawer because it almost broke when I fell once, had plastic parts, and was generally of bad build quality. I think it also depends on how much and how hard you use it. I use my Colorado ALOT and fish it hard. It's nice knowing I have a simple system made of metal components that isn't going to fail me for some dumb reason

Ross is discontinuing the Evo R 3/4 as it was too similar to the 4/5 in size (fractions of a ounce and the 4/5 holds a additional 15 yds 20# backing). The 3/4 holds 85 yds 20# backing. They were discounted back in the early spring for 255.00. There may be some still available. great reel!

Abel tr1, orvis hardy cfo 123 or abel cfo I or II, sage 503. Hardy Lightweight.

Hard to go wrong with the old style TR1 or a CFO. I am not a disc drag guy, exponentially so on a 3 weight reel.

If you like the modern styling ross Colorado 1. Old ross Colorado 1 as well.

Any of the J Austib Forbes clickers are good small reels too.

I am 70 years old. I have fished moderately priced reels for 46 years. I want to spoil myself and perhaps leave it to my son. There is a possibility that I may never fish it.

"HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS!!!!"

I'm in the process of donating my older equipment to Project healing waters.

Thanks for all of the advice.

I like that organization.

drakeking412 wrote:
bigjohn58 wrote:

Aesthetic, sound, quality of build coupled with simplicity of said build, and availability of replacement parts or customer service to repair. Those are all qualities a $20 special lacks in but mean the world when you're on a 7 day hunt in no service land.

I was using a Redington Zero for a while because it seemed like a middle of the road option that wasn't the battenkill (I hate that reel for other reasons) and wasn't $300 nor a $20 special. That zero has now been relegated to the drawer because it almost broke when I fell once, had plastic parts, and was generally of bad build quality. I think it also depends on how much and how hard you use it. I use my Colorado ALOT and fish it hard. It's nice knowing I have a simple system made of metal components that isn't going to fail me for some dumb reason

You must fish completely different then I do. I hand strip in 99% of the trout I catch even when they are over 20 inches. Only exception might be when I fish for lake runs. I'm more and more impressed with most of these $50 and less cheap reels on the market. Now I get it its not American built but I feel the quality is there for small reels and the majority of your trout fishing needs. Now would I use them if I wanted to go salmon fishing or something like that? No probably not but I do have several higher end reels from these cheaper companies that I do trust with fish like salmon, bass, etc.

salmo wrote:
I am 70 years old. I have fished moderately priced reels for 46 years. I want to spoil myself and perhaps leave it to my son. There is a possibility that I may never fish it.
Salmo:

Do you have a preference for the type of reel you are after?

Like for example a modern lightweight wide arbor reel versus a classic click & pawl reel or doesn't it matter?

Modern Lightweight, probably lighter color, disk drag.

OK, got it!

The only disk drag reels I own are made by Ross & Abel. Everything Abel makes is over your budget but Ross has a few under $300.

I can't say enough good thing about my Ross reels even though NONE are current. What I can say is all of them are close to 20 years old and purring like a kitten.

Good luck in your search!!

You could find an older CFO that would be in that range and treat you very well.

I actually decided to spoil myself too and have been thinking about getting a Hardy Perfect. Love those reels.

Sal what size? new, used, antique?

If you can find one a 503L is sweet little reel. Joe. E

Baron,

Well since the reel is for two vintage blanked customs i own, so ill likely vintage but well kept. I have some very nice and rare vintage stuff, i tend to by NOS stock.
You should see my Hardy Fibalite Perfection 7'2" 4wt. Still had the plastic on the cork when i got it. Man i love fishing that rod.
I like the 2 7/8 or 3 1/8. Likely get the bigger.

Just a reminder, if anyone is shopping NEW Hardy, you can't beat the prices at Harris Sportsmail in the UK with free shipping to the US.

If a 2-7/8" Wide Spool Perfect was in the running for Sal, it can be had for $439. It's a very sweet reel.

That's why I asked Salmo what kind of reel he was after. If he was considering a click & pawl (which he isn't), he could get a NEW Hardy Marquis (Made in England) well under his price point or even a NEW 4wt Duchess for slightly over.

Back to Sal's Perfect hunt. I can say from experience that the last iteration (2009) of the Perfect was one of the nicest in recent history. Excellent finish, beautiful agate guide and a nice leather zipper case (if you like leather zipper cases).

While not from the correct era, they can be found somewhat readily as NOS although, pricey.

Thanks Bam!
I just bookmarked this thread because of your last post.

One thing that has me confused is the wide spool. That is one reason i have not considered new. I hate wide spool reels. They look so odd to me on a rod when they are 3 or 4 times the width of your rod.

Ill be on the look out for the 2009 version you posted.
Thanks again!

Because of the check & ball bearings in a Perfect, they are far from narrow to begin with, but the wide spool version doesn't look bad or much wider, at least to me.

The Hardy Bouglé is wider too with a similar check & bearings, but I fell in love with them the first time I laid eyes on one.

I got over my aversion to wide spools when I got my first Cascapedia. Now I don't even notice.

If you like narrow, look at the Marquis LWT. It isn't a Perfect but they sure are nice.

Back